Svt burn ablation caused bradycardia now i have pacemaker

Posted , 4 users are following.

in jan 2006 i was diagnosed with SVT after fainting episodes and feeling like the blood was draining from my head they did more tests to find out why this was happening and SVT was the cause.

i was told there was a 29 month waiting list so my ex booked me in with Bupa ( works health insurance), and i was sent to Harley street on 6/6/2006 and i had my first ablation, just 6 pathways burnt, came home the following day and felt tired but ok but it didnt last, and on dec 20 2016 had to be admitted back to harley street for a full map ablation of my heart , i did not feel good , but a month after all seemed fine right up until feb 2016 and i started to get Really slow beats and i mean slow my new hubby had a blood ressure machine at home and by the time August 22 came round i got up that morning and couldnt function, couldnt move my arms legs talk very well and was just drained, my new hubby did my blood pressure and it read 27 beats per minute he called an ambulance i was taken in incoherant completely, they wired me up over night my bp was 5 beats per minute and i was rushed down and a pacemaker fitted.

This is all because a burn ablation kills the natural pacemakers and i was not warned about the effects long term.

its been nearly two years and i can still feel racing episodes, heavy thumps and the area is still sore becaus my bra strap rubs on it and strapless does nothing for support at all, 

my advice to anyone who has been diagnosed with SVT is that if you have been reccomended to have an ablation Please make sure you are getting a Freeze ablation and then you wont end up 10 years later in my position, and you wont have a pacemaker.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I warned by my cardiologist that the pacemaker can fail with ablation plus other bad risks so decided no. on pills for svt  (metoprolol twice daily)
  • Posted

That’s crazy that this happened a month after your ablation! There is always a chance of this happening my cardiologist goes over every risk with me in full detail and since my ablation was next to my av node an array had to be used since that’s the safest route. But I am also in the states not sure if that makes a difference. But I am very sorry for your situation I would let your cardiologist no how your feeling 
  • Posted

Hi Tina

I’m sorry to hear that, my Cardiologist was great and went through the benefits and risks. 

Consultants have a legal responsibility to do this so you could go down the clinical negligence route to claim compensation if you feel particularly aggrieved by this. 

Everything like this comes with risk, but should have been able to make an informed decision. 

Sorry to hear that this didn’t work out so well for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.