SVT during tennis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have bouts of SVT that occur when I play tennis (not every time though). Had one last July that lasted about 5 mins and didn’t need treatment. This put me off playing but now started playing again, first session last week was fine, played on Monday and triggered one. Luckily one of the people who plays tennis is a retired GP. He felt my pulse and said the best thing was to go to the hospital to capture it on ECG (the hospital is near the tennis club) but after a few minutes it went back to normal rhythm. He suggested visiting my GP and asking for a referral to get tests done to determine where the problem is occurring. Just wondering what other people think. I am concerned that as the problem only happens with tennis, goes away on its own, doesn’t last long and I always feel fine with it he will dismiss it. I would feel happier knowing an episode has been recorded as I have worn a Holter meter in the past that didn’t capture anything. Just wondering what other people think.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You could get a Kardia Mobile or Kardia Band by AliveCor. Both work with your smart phone and generate a medical grade ekg within minutes of an episode. You can then email the ekg to your doctor for evaluation. I also have SVT episodes, and found it easy to capture them even if the episodes were under five minutes.

Jim

• Posted

Not sure why my post was sent to moderation but I'll try again with different wording. You could get a Kardia Mobile or Kardia Band. I won't mention the manufacturer because maybe that's why my post was moderated but you can look it up. Both will take a medical grade ekg in minutes which can be sent to your doctor by (rhymes with teemail). I have captured several of my SVTs that lasted under 5 minutes with these.

Jim

• Posted

An ekg is important because there are different kinds of SVT, or it may not be SVT at all but a sinus tachycardia. The downside is that you will now be a patient with a diagnosis as opposed to having some random events that cannot be duplicated in the ER. In general, the types of events you describe, do not need to be treated, but beware that if your EKG suggests SVT that you may get a referral to a cardiologist and then an electrophisologist (EP). EPs love catheter ablation which is a lot more invasive than they make it out and requires general anathesia. More conservative treatments are to do nothing or medications but the medications can be lifelong and have side effects.

Jim

Jim

• Posted

Hi there. Thanks for the advice. Think trying to capture it myself is better option and as episodes go on their own then treatment if probably best left alone. Will look up Kardia.
  • Posted

Hi, I would suggest getting the Kardia, Also maybe have the doc hook you up to the Zio patch for 2 weeks. Also I wouldn't stop playing Tennis. When I had my big episode at the gym I panicked all the way to the ER go Adenosine, I went home and went straight back to the gym to finish my workout. Wasn't going to let it stop something I do everyday and like to do. Zio patch and If you go play tennis everyday, they will capture it.

• Posted

Hi there. Thanks for the advice.  Will look up Kardia.? I Won't give up playing tennis as either, will just try to keep calm when an episode occurs.

• Posted

They also now have the Kardia Band that works with an Apple Watch. The upside is convenience and a more discreet way to take your ekg in public. The downside is higher initial cost and a required monthly $10 fee to subscribe to their premium service.

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.