SVT Episode

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the first time, last year I experienced SVT. The first episode lasted for about 5 hours, and the second attack lasted for 7 hours. Both times I was admitted to Hospital. I am interested to find out how long these attacks can last.? I believe that I read of someone having an attack which lasted for many weeks. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Don't they do a conversion of the attack lasts long enough for you to get to the hospital?
    • Posted

The Paramedics initially tried me with the Vagal Manoeuvres but these have been unsuccessful and with most attacks I have reverted normally without any medication being of assistance.
  • Posted

Hi Pato, this is my first post on here so interesting to hear of other people's experiences. I have had SVT episodes since my early 20s (28 now) and my longest one was last week which lasted 16 hours and put me in hospital. Before that, they lasted 20 mins or so before reverting to normal. It was also the first time I had this condition diagnosed as previously the episodes were too short to get to a doctor in time.
    • Posted

Hi Scott. My attacks started in 2010 at the age of 79 years of age!!.

My first attack lasted for 2.30 hours and reverted at home without any medical intervention, but left me quite alarmed as you will be able to relate to. Since then I have had 13 other episodes. Three of these lasted for periods of 5.15 hours, 7.25 hours and 10 hours and I ended up in the ED where they reverted normally. On one occasion they tried Adenosine which stops/starts the heart but this did not hasten the reversion. On all other occasions my attacks have lasted for periods of 50 minutes to 2.20 hours. When I now get an attack I take 50mg of Metoprolol, and if that doesn't work within an hour, I take a further 50mg Metoprolol, and up until now that has reverted my heart rate to my normal, which is very low at about 48-50bpm. I have not had an attack since July 2013 and have my fingers crossed that I will not have another attack in the immediate furture. You are young and I hope that they can eventually sort this out for you. At my age I have high blood pressure and arrythmia which is being controlled by the usual 'poison' that they prescribe. Good luck Scott.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.