svt on waking or wakes me up from sleep

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone else suffers from svt when waking up or wakes them from their sleep?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes Gillian. Before my ablation I was often woken by attacks of SVT. My attacks always occurred when I was resting and were never triggered by exercise.
    • Posted

Hi Mary, how high would your your heart rate go and how long would they last? Was there anything you could do to convert it or would you have to go to hospital?... Also has your ablation been successful?

• Posted

Hi. Yes I always seem to have them in the evening usually when I'm just about asleep or I'm awoken with one. I am trying to figure out my triggers. I'm keeping a journal of what I've eaten and any exercise. I know spicy food, caffeine, dairy and exercise seem to trigger mine. I'm taking enzymes and probiotics to help stomach issues. Im studying myself basically. And maybe it just happens with no rhyme or reason but if i can prevent it I will definetly try.

• Posted

Hi Shelley, how high would your your heart rate go and how long would they last? Was there anything you could do to convert it or would you have to go to hospital? My trigger just seems to be on wakening - And it's not every morning I suffer them... Mines have just started up again in the last couple of days after being not too bad. I was still having hgh heart rate and skipped beats but no where as bad. Got an appointment at the cardiology clinic tomorrow.  

• Posted

Yes, 9 times out of 10 I experience my SVT when it awakens me from sleep. Usually because of a bad dream I'm having. Other times it's from caffeine, spicy food or unknown.

• Posted

Hi Paullie, how high would your your heart rate go and how long would they last? Was there anything you could do to convert it or would you have to go to hospital? My trigger just seems to be on wakening - And it's not every morning I suffer them... has anyone ever mentioned about obstructive sleep apnoea before!? I believe that is a symptom. My blood pressure is usually raised as well, although that could be because I'm anxious! Mines have just started up again in the last couple of days after being not too bad. I was still having hgh heart rate and skipped beats but no where as bad. Got an appointment at the cardiology clinic tomorrow.    

• Posted

Gillian, my HB has gone over 200...some of the times I've gotten it to stop on my own, other

• Posted

Sorry here's the rest...other times I had to go to the hospital. Mine is usually in the middle of the night. I've often wondered about sleep apnea because a few times I was told I was snoring ...and I'm like 'no way, I don't snore!'...my BP is usually not high, I'm on a beta blocker...but anxiety sure could contribute to it...also after one of my episodes I notice skipped, irregular beats will arise.

• Posted

I'm going to ask about sleep apnea at my appt. Im on 240mgs sr and 120mgs sr verapamil when required. Terrifies me going to sleep thinking I will wake up to another attack sad

• Posted

I know, it is worrisome...but try your best to get it out of your mind...I make sure I have my daily vitamin (low potassium can trigger it) and plenty of water (dehydration is another trigger) before bed...that usually gives me piece of mind. Let me know what your dr says about the sleep apnea..good luck!
    • Posted

Seen my cardiologist today, going to do another echo and 3 day monitor, and possible EP study. She is with me on the sleep apnea, as I seem to fit the criteria for it with my symptoms. I have to go to my GP and asked to be referred. 
    • Posted

You've got me thinking about asking my dr about the sleep apnea too...good luck with all of your upcoming appointments..keep us posted!

• Posted

My heart rate was always over 200bpm.  I couldn't convert it and it would go on for hours, even after I took 80mg of Propanalol to control it.  I never actually went to hospital - I had read that SVT is not  life threatening so I just waited for it to pass.  It would knock me out for at least a day afterwards too.

?My first attempt at an ablation was not successful because the cardiologist wasn't able to trigger an attack during the procedure so couldn't find the area to burn.  I had another a few months later which was straight forward.  It's been 6 months now and so far so good.  I would recommend it if it is suggested for you; I was never able to find the trigger even after giving up caffeine, chocolate, red wine etc so it was the only way forward for me,

?Good luck!

• Posted

SVT can damage your heart if you let it race for to long to many times. I got shown a trick from the ambulance guys on my first episode, they got me to blow into a syringe for 10-15secs then while i was on there bed in the ambulance they tipped me backwards and it slowed my heart instantly.

• Posted

hi @gillian95988 and hey @paullie how are your svt now and did you lot find out about the sleep apnea to?

• Posted

Hi mo9988, no I never looked into the sleep apnea : ( I've noticed if i drink alot of water, especially at night, my svt stays in check!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.