Svt or afib??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have what I think is svt, which come an goes abruptly, usually for a few seconds, it races above 100 and the worst was around 235 bpm. I have been to A & E because it has lasted for an hour or so without stopping. I was told by a nurse it was svt but I have had tests an came back fine becauae it wasnt caught at the time of my ecg.

when im not having an episode I get palpitations alot and skipped/ectopic beats. But reading alot onlone this sounds simular to afib with all the palpitations and the day after drinking alcahol I get palpitations aswell. I dont get irregular heartbeats just palps and skipped beats alot?

I just need definate answers, someone to tell me what it really is. Afib scares me as I know it can cause strokes.

Help.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am 69 and have had these papitations and skipped heartbeats for over 40 years,the past 12 years or maybe longer i have had svt, i think the risk of stroke is worse when you get older.  I have avoided alcohol mostly all my adult life due to it causeing me bad palpitations.  if i get upset i go through hell with it also.
    • Posted

If it goes on too long i think it can attribute to a stroke, i know theres a risk because the electrical impulses are running riot in the heart and can cause a blood clot to go to the brain.

• Posted

I would go with Kristina's advice. Pester your GP and/or Cardio until you get a firm diagnosis. That is what they are there for.

• Posted

Heart palpitations can be caused by anxiety I have svt but also have heart palpitations allot and always after alcohol heart palpitations are actually your heart gaining a beat but feels like skipping a beat nearly everyone with svt gets them at some point I've had what feels like irregular beats but hardly ever

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.