SVT post ablation.. Palps.. Worried :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm 19 years old and I finally got my SVT ablation done on Thursday (two days ago not including today). I was psyched for the surgery because I constantly was having SVT and it was time for a change. Yesterday morning (one day after ablation) me and my girlfriend and her parents are driving to Florida from New York (17 hour drive) and almost the whole time I've been experiencing palpitations.. Before my operation I never experienced these palpitations only when I had an SVT attack, every 2-3 hours they can come back or every 10-15 minutes they come back, I'm just curious is this normal for post ablation?? Should I be experiencing so many palpitations? I feel like in a way I could be over thinking it because obviously my heart just got surgery and I need rest, sitting in a car for 17 hours probably wasn't the smartest thing to do.. Please please please get back to me if you know if this is normal or not. Thank you so much!!

Could it also be anxiety causing my palpitations to come back? Seems like they're just constantly happening every 5 minutes or so.. Will this go away, please make me feel better guys sad

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Okay good news! No SVT episodes. All those palpitations and flutters that wake you up at night is a premature atrial contraction or its going the route it remembers to SVT but it's got a road block and can't do it anymore. So what's with the chest squeeze and short of breathe? It's anxiety but it's a direct neural stimulation of anxiety that is your body's physiology to deal with the arythmia. So you're not crazy or freaking out. Your heart has to heal and then the anxiety will stop. They changed the medication from metoprolol to diltiazem low dose. The heart monitor showed many rhythm findings so I googled them. I found a lot of info under Junctional escape beats. My daughter is still frustrated with the ghost anxiety that happens but hopefully this change in medicine will mask it until it goes away. The body sometimes overestimates the potential of danger so my daughter says she will use her brain to counter that everything is alright. The doctor did mention that she is very in tune to her change in heart rhythm as are most SVT patients. He doesn't need to see her for a year! So relieved!! He did mention yoga and meditation for stress therapy. Hope our outcome helps you find peace. Hang in there!

• Posted

That is wonderful Kristina. I hope she got some major relief from this. What you have shared makes perfect sense. Thanks for letting us know, it brings hope to some folks that might be going through the same thing.
    • Posted

Sorry to interrupt on your conversation but you seem to really understand the symptoms. I found out I had SVT and doctors information me its not life threathing. They put me on verapamil 120mL October,7th and it slowed my heart rate down but the symptoms remained. I stopped the medicine this Monday (doctors orders) but I still have the slow heart beat and have PAC and the doctors say its normal to have slow heart beats and say even athletes have slow heart beats and I'm fine. They scheduled me an ablation November, 3rd and I'm nervous about it any advice you can give? The slow heart beats scare me just as much as the fast ones I regret taking the medicine hopefully it'll be totally out my system and it'll be back to just SVT.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.