SVT, strange symptoms

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just hoping someone can relate to my symptoms. I’m 23, I had my first ever SVT in November 2019, I was at work and out the blue it felt like my heart was flip flopping in my chest! I went to hospital with a heart rate of 200 and they gave me that horrible drug 3 times to bring it down. I had never heard of an SVT before this. Since this I haven’t been the same, everyday I Experience different symptoms, palpitations under my left breast. Sometimes short lived flutters in my chest, and the most strange one is where my heart suddenly feels like it’s stopped for a brief second and it sends a rush to my head! Has anyone experienced this? I am yet to be diagnosed with SVT even though I had one, I’m seeing a cardiologist next week and hoping he has some answers for me. I have had an echo, (all good apart from a slight murmur) a 24 hour monitor and a 7 day monitor, currently waiting on results. I no longer drink coffee, or drink alcohol because I freak it’s going to bring on an episode! Though I do still smoke, my doctor put me on 10mg of propranolol which does help but doesn’t get rid of the palpitations and weird sensations! Also I took myself of citalopram 20mg last year in around March time... and I remember starting to get palpitations then... I know antidepressants can affect the heart, my mistake! Does anyone else experience this?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tara sorry to hear you are feeling this way. i was diagnosed middle of last year had my first episode in january 2019 or thats when it became a real problem and scared me. i am on 40mg twice a day sotalol (cant go any higher because of my naturally low blood pressure) i to experience these symptoms especially the one where it feels as though your heart has stopped. I dont know about you but with the feeling like your heart has stopped i also feel like i cannot catch my breath and then it races like thuds in my chest all i can tell you is although it is a horrible sensation it does get easier to cope with eventually i find a cold flannel on my head helps calm me down as i panic alot with it. hope this helps put your mind at ease xx

• Posted

Hi Tara,

It sounds exactly like SVT.

I think most would agree that hardly anyone knows what it is until you get it.

The flutter you speak of is usually the trigger (along with anxiety) its a short circuit if you like causing your heart to spasm , mine was playing havoc with my AV Node.

There's a few different problems that all have similar symptoms.

The heart stopping sensation used to worry me heavily. The heart only feels like it stops. It actually just starts beating normal again but after getting the attack of 200+ BPM it feels like it comes to a grinding halt. it essentially resets. Tjis is usually followed by the rushing sensation, this is actually blood rushing through your body again because once the heart spasms it doesnt allow blood to flow normally as its out of synchronisation.

If you feel "funny" be mindful of AF, (Atrial Fibrillation). That causes your heart to mis beat. Like a lumpy idle on an engine.

Get an ablation ASAP. i had SVT (undiognosed) for years . I was lost with what to do and typically it never happened on queue at the GP for them to see.

i suffered, along with my Wife until one day the racing heart was "funny", it was different this time. it was on it was off if was high it was low. i felt like i was on a rollacoasta. A+E vist. drugs calmed the speed down but was constantly going from Brady cardia to tachycardia. I was clocked at 240BPM and wasnt able to stand up as it would set it off again.

i had the ablation and its million times better. 6 years later i still occasionally become aware of my heart feeling alittle funny but only through caffeine and choclate etc.

Youve been diognosed really quickly so fingers crossed you wont suffer for long. get it sorted!

• Posted

Hi Tara, i just wanted you to know that i have experienced every symptom that you have described, including the one that feels like your heart stops for a second and then a rush to your head. I am sorry that you have experienced that frightening feeling but I'm glad I know I'm not alone in experiencing that. I have had an echo cardiogram, a month long heart monitor as well as a heart scan and everything appears normal. I have been on 160 mg. of Nadolol for many years and 40 Mg. of Propranolol when needed. Just know that you are not alone. Feel free to write back if I can answer any other questions.

Lori

• Posted

Have you been offered a d-dimer blood test? I only mention it because you smoke.

• Posted

hi,

no i havent, that doesnt relate to SVT though does it? thanks

• Posted

Hi Tara my situation is very similar and im still pretty lost trying to figure out whats going on. My first episode happened August 30th, 2019 at 30. I was at work and all of a sudden my chest felt different unlike anything I had ever experienced. To make a long story short I went to the hospital with a heart rate of 214. Fast forward 8 months and what has become my own personal hell I experience Heart rates above 180 while just resting daily. With this I have developed what the refer to as Premature Ventricular Contractions. That' s the skipped beat you described and I too get the head rush. Ive now developed a severe panic attack disorder that is crippling. I have not been diagnosed either even though ive seen countless Doctors. They all say anxiety but how does that magically appear after 30 years. I went 30 years only going to hospital twice for minor injuries to going 57 times in 8 months. Your not alone.

• Posted

so sorry to hear this! its horrible. im lucky in the sense i dont appear to get many eposides. Maybe the beta blockers prevent it. i was due to have an ablation in March but got cancelled due to the Virus. PACs/PVCs are the worst things i have ever felt! feel free to drop me a message if you need to talk!

• Posted

I really appreciate that. There have been so many times in the last 8 months that ive felt so alone. The biggest thing for me is the Docters in my area dont listen and are so quick to say its anxiety and hand out Opiets when its not something that magically appeared in my head. Ive had the 16 abnormal EKG's and two haulter monitor tests. One had 5,630 PVC's in 24 hours and the other was 4,383 PVC's in 24 hours both were similar with heart rates between 38-210. In my situation I Feel lost and scared. I was put on Beta blockers but I was allergic. Thank you for listening to me rant. Its really nice not being alone.

• Posted

Hi Travis

If you are allergic to beta blockers, has your doctor ever suggested a calcium channel blocker?

• Posted

I feel you Travis, I've been in the ER with 1 in 4 of my beats being a PVC and this was ongoing for the better part of several months. I've even been stuck in 'Bigeminy' before which is where every other beat is a PVC. The doctors didn't seem too worried. They said only if you are getting more than 20,000 PVC's a day for a long period of time you are at risk for heart failure (which can be reversed if they ablate) other wise they aren't physically harmful. I still get them frequently sometimes but nothing like that, Magnesium supplements i think helped me but it took a while.

• Posted

Hi Tara,

You are definitely not alone, I had my first episode in 2009 at 21, and im 32 years old now. You are lucky in the sense that you were able to capture it in the hospital. I have been through all the tests but am still yet to capture an episode on an ECG. I also suffer from frequent PVC's and PAC's. I often feel a couple of PVC's or PAC's before an episode comes on. Physical activity, dehydration, and hunger seem to be my triggers. SVT seems to have a mind of its own, I have had episodes months apart and some several years apart. Some episodes are 5-10 minutes long, some are 1+hr long. My cardiologist seems to be mostly concerned about reassuring me that this is a benign condition and that my heart is healthy (as i'm sure yours will be) than treating me. I suspect this may be because it hasn't been 'captured'.

Lying down (if i am able to where ever I am) and/or triggering the vasovagal nerve seem to help stop episodes for me. I can also certainly relate to the anxiety inducing feeling that they induce. Almost as bad as the episode for me is the 'the fear' of getting an episode which is something that is constantly on my mind even if it has been months and months since i've had one. I've even avoided certain situations because of it which isn't good. If i ever had the option i think i would opt for an ablation.

• Posted

I've had SVT for a long time but got it treated with an ablation procedure. It worked great for about 10 years then my condition came back as something else. Somewhat similar to what you have. My heart just gets 'confused' and I feel 'off' and sometimes weak. The anxiety that follows is the worst. I had a loop monitor implanted and it uploads my heart data to my cardiologist. It's been implanted for about 2 years. Has it helped? Well, I don't know, all it does is record and there is not much the doctor can do. You are doing the right thing by modifying your lifestyle. No caffeine, eat as healthy as you can stand, and you MUST give up the smoking. I know it's rough, but you must do it. The meds I was given didn't do squat for me except make me feel lethargic. I've been to multiple cardiologists here in the New York City area. Very little can be done, at least for now. Inquire about the implanted loop monitor. Also, start keeping a daily log of your health. Date, time and activity of ALL episodes, no matter how minor. Give details of what you were doing, what you ate, how long it lasted, etc. Keep this record handy to be submitted to your doctor. The more data the better. I've been living with this for a very long time. Definitely disrupted my life as I was very active. If you need to talk or have questions just msg me. Take care and good luck. Stay calm and stay focused.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.