SVT struggle.

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I've been dealing with SVT since around Jan 2015 but it is since gotten worse which finally prompted me to be "officially" diagnosed May 2017 with SVT and it has been a struggle. I was unable to take my beta blocker because it dropped my heart rate low ( around the 50s). I've never had my heart rate that low so it freaked me and my boyfriend out, my heart rate has always been 100 and higher and usually the base line is 120. Does in time does SVT get better? I'm unable to workout because it gets me so out of breath. Any tips on making my life somewhat manageable? Thanks!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Have you ever considered an ablation to correct it?
    • Posted

I have but I'm also on the fence about it but my doctor hasn't said anything about it ablation. I have another EKG coming up soon. 

• Posted

No I understand. I was like that too at the beginning. I had an ablation for my wpw and psvt. Obviously both of those were dangerous so I had to correct it. Its different for everyone. Some people have a pleasant experience some so and so. Mine was okay. The only about mine is it took a long time for me to regain my energy back. But like I said it varies from people to people. Whatever the case is for you I wish you the best of luck and do what is best for you.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response! I have heard its different for everyone.
  • Posted

Hi. Unfortunately, SVT tends to get worse as time goes on. Some folks manage reasonably well on medication, but for others like me SVT impacts very badly on their lives. I had an ablation 5 years ago and have not had SVT since. I would strongly recommend one for you if the Cardio says you are suitable. My experience was that the ablation procedure was no worse than just one SVT episode of the same duration. 
    • Posted

Hello, I will definitely give ablation more thought and see if it would be beneficial to me. Unfortunately beta blockers wasn't a good fit for me so hopefully, there will be something else that helps. 

• Posted

Is your resting heart rate over 100?  That's a little high. I've been on a beta blocker for my SVT for a couple years now and I'm doing great. Mine does go down in the 50's when I'm lying down and being very still but that's not really too low.  Top athletes have theirs go that low or sometimes even into the 40's.  Talk to your doctor about your concern over it going too low.  I take a very low dose and have even seen mine go into the upper 40's when I'm in bed at night.  I do understand your concern and how it almost makes you "freak" out. I don't really like mine going into the 40's even though it's probably just fine.  What I have been doing is when I take my evening dose I scrape a tiny bit off and that way my heartrate usually stays in the 50's or upper 60's when I'm lying down.  I'm not recommending that for you but I would just talk to you doctor about your concerns of your heart rate going too low.  Also, I exercise a lot and feel great.  I was very tired the first few weeks on the beta blocker but I'm happy to say that it went away and I have lots of energy now. 

• Posted

Yes, usually my resting is around 100-120. It definitely varies.  Thank you for your response! When I took my beta blocker the first thing I did was consult my doctor but unfortunately, the doc I went to wasn't super helpful. The dose I took was low but in my 19 years of life my heart rate was never so low, it made me feel sick. (if that makes sense?) The highest it's ever gotten has been 200 so my SVT isn't as bad but working out is a changeable in its-self, like walking up 4 flights of steps makes me winded and my heart rate shoots up to 190 (yikes!) 

• Posted

Brooke, lots of us understand quite well your experiences.  My first tip would be to read as much as you can about SVT.  The overall story seems quite encoraging to me, and it keeps getting better and better.  Next, find the best medical people you can, and work with them as completely as you can.  And, choose the most promising treatment(s) and give it (them) a chance to work.  You may well have an actual cure in your future, and that would be a wonderful place to be.  Take care 
    • Posted

Another thought, Brooke, triggered by your other responses.  For someone in good physical condition, a heartrate in the 50s could be fine.  I much enjoy having my heartrate that low.  It helps me feel relaxed and calm, I think.  Please do talk to your physician(s) about that. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your feedback, I have read up on SVT but ill probably look into it more. I'm not in the greatest shape because of my SVT so my heart rate going that low is alarming to me! I totally understand where you're coming from, Usually having my heart rate around 100-105 is quite fine for me but when it gets over 130 it gets a little bit worry some. 

• Posted

Hi Brooke.

I have been diagnosed as well with Svt since Dec 2016. My resting heart rate used to be 65 but I take a beta blocker and now at resting it's in low 50s. Occasionally it will drop to 40s..on days where I haven't had much sleep. It doesn't stay there steadily but drops to low 40s and then goes back up. I try to keep busy during it but sometimes I just need to lie down and rest until it returns to normal. I have low blood pressure normally so I take a half of beta blocker only so it doesn't get any lower. I have not had ablation basically because it worries me and makes me anxious. I thought I'd try the beta blocker first to see how I managed. I have been doing well with them but probably once a month my heart shoots up and I lie down and it comes down. Usually around pms time. It used to be everyday all the time so for me it's an improvement. Anyway that's my experience..i may eventually do ablation but for now I can deal with it. I did a lot of reading and learned what I could. So find what works for you. It has taken me a while just to process having Svt..something I had never heard of before. I had to wrap my brain around that...and accept that my life was different. I can still enjoy life and it's taken me since December to start feeling more like myself. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hello, Shelley. 

I have to agree with you on that ablation makes you worried and anxious because that's exactly how I am. I'm glad the beta blocker is working for you but that wasn't my case and it does suck but I do seem to be managing it a little bit better by just taking things slow and if my heart rate gets too high just calming down. 

• Posted

I'd highly recommend looking into an ablation, my SVT got worse and worse to the point I couldn't exercise because it would instantly trigger and episode which got really severe in the end heart rate reaching 290's. Ever since my ablation have had no SVT symptoms.

• Posted

Hello, Kels. 

Thank you for your response, I'll be giving it some thought and consideration and hopefully come to a decision before it gets too bad. May I ask how it feels when your heart rate reaches 290? I've never had it anywhere near that high, I can only imagine how it must feel because when my heart rate reaches 130 and up I feel like I can't breathe. 

• Posted

Hi Brooke,

It's okay, I know how it feels to want to know about everything that you could be about to go through. It's extremely weird, every time I had an episode I'm sure I had a panic attack also because that's what it would feel like, but it just feels like your chests bubbling and you can't breathe and my vision used to go fuzzy and my ears would block as if I was about to pass out. It kind of disables you really, I was in the hospital when I had the heart rate that high so that was lucky but it's scary I admit especially when they doctors panic 😂

Good luck with everything, I hope you come to a decision you're happy with!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.