SVT Suddenly reared it’s head after 2 years

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.

I had a few episodes of SVT over 2 years ago, didnt know at the time that it was SVT and it was so scary. They all stopped on their own eventually but i had a really long episode and ended up in A&E and was given the drug (cant remember what its called) to get my heart back to normal. It was then that they discovered it was SVT.

Since then, its been over 2 years since ive had anything but last week I had an episode that lasted about 5 minutes and i had two episodes yesterday of about 5 mins and a 30 second one.

I guess what I'm not sure about is whether to get checked out? It was a nightmare after i went to hospital as i had to go to the GP to be referred to cardiology and when i got to the appointment they had no idea why i was there as the hospital made no notes on my record so nobody knew it had even happened....

I was given Bisoprolol as pill in pocket and i have taken it once when my HR felt really high but i dont acrually think it was an SVT episode.

Its bought all my anxiety back and I cant stop thinking about it now 😦

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

That's the thing about SVT, it just happens randomly with sometimes years in between episodes. I had a gap of 4 years once, and now I've had 2 episodes in a month. I get anxious too, as a lot of people do, but try to remember that although it's really frightening, it's not going to harm you. Hope things have settled down again for you now.

• Edited

I was born with SVT and have had episodes my entire life. At times I would go 6 to 12 months between episodes, but over the past few years I started getting them more frequently - I typically don't go more than 2-3 weeks without an episode now. I did skip seeing the cardiologist for MANY years (since I knew what the episodes were), but it can't hurt to get checked out. When I finally went after years, the cardiologist did a full cardiac workup and I feel more assured that everything is still stable otherwise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.