SVT sufferers can use your advice ..

Posted , 20 users are following.

I been suffering from anxiety for years and it has ruined my life.  There is one symptom that is devestating and scary to me.. I have to get a monitor to catch it to know for sure, but that won't be till jan 29th.    My main question to you guys and girls who suffer from SVT.. Is do any of you also get panic or anxiety attacks?   Mine have been happening most often right when I am trying to go to sleep.. I get this  weird nervous feeling that sweeps over me and get start getting hot.. like a hot flash.  It feels like if i can't take control over it right than and there,, my heart than starts to rapidly speed up into almost a mode where the heart is beating at even but very fast.. I get more nervous and start sweating like crazy and the nervous feeling and sweating and panic maybe lasts about a minute or a couple of minutes.. than I start feeling more calm and the sweating stops and my pulse starts slowing back to normal..  Does this sound like an SVT attack or more of a panic attack.. Another thing to note I do not notice or feel any skipped heart beats before my heart takes off to the races, and i don't notice any skipped beats when it ends. I have read a lot of people say their SVT usually starts with a skipped beat or heart flutter and also ends that way..  I never get these attacks in a split second.. i always know when they are coming on.. i feel nervous or volatile and get hot and the nervousness hits hard and than the heart starts speeding up very rapidly.  

Any info or anything would be greately appreciated.. i am so down in the dumps righ tnow

sincerely

paul

0 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Will do.. maybe they are related with you, but they aren't the same thing.. Maybe whatever imbalance you have is responsible for both the SVT attacks and these other adrenaline rush type attacks.. 
    • Posted

Paladinx, I'll tell you what happened to me when I had exactly the same symptoms as you – a racing heart – (not an SVT, that's a separate issue) and was given a 24 hour holter. The cardiac consultants looked at the results (weeks later) and of course said there is nothing wrong with my heart. I was so desperate, I was spending hours just sitting on the settee terrified of moving, I pleaded with them to do something, so they sighed and referred me for psychotherapy, which put me on the beginning of the road to recovery. I have tried various anti-anxiety medications, they can be very helpful indeed, but they don't work for me personally. The SVT is a different thing: it's caused by a benign miswiring inside the heart (which I've had all my life) which can be triggered by bending over, or stepping down a step, or stress, or caffeine, or nothing at all. It's very common. From your description, you don't have it. You have chronic anxiety which at the moment is focussed on your heart. Have you tried propranolol? Taken an hour before you go to bed, that will stop your heart speeding up, ie tackle the symptoms. But it's your mind that's giving you problems: you will still have to tackle the anxiety.
    • Posted

Hey sue, 

Thank you for sharing your story with me.. i do appreciate it..  You could be absolutely right.. I don't deny anything.  I am more uncertain than anything.. I feel like it could be 100 percent anxiety or maybe a combo..  I never tried that drug, I am assuming it is a beta blocker.  I would be scared to take it because at night when I am sleeping or at the most relaxed my pulse can come way down.. A beta blocker might make my pulse lower than 60bpm.  These fast rate attacks only happen for a minute or two.. I would say my pulse generally throughout the day is under 80 bpm.  Sometimes if i eat a big meal, or have stomach issues, or some other crap it might get to 80 bpm or a little higher.. but i would say most of the time im in the 70's.  and when I am super relaxed like just waking up.. im probably 60 beats per min or 59.. I would imagine my nicotine levels are lowest than too because I use an electronic cigarette.. 

I just carry around a bottle of xanax with me.. as kind of a security blanket.. I try not to use it unless I need it.. I also have a perscription for lexapro, but I haven't used it yet.. I am trying a couple of natural suppliments first..  My anxiety is a weird one and probably a typical than most.. I know that sounds silly.. but I have a complicated brain lol

• Posted

Propranolol is a beta blocker and of course it's perfectly safe, it just restores your heart rate to normal, whatever your normal is. Perhaps you should have a new year's resolution to stop checking your pulse all the time?!!

On the other hand, if your heart only races for a couple of minutes, what's the problem? It won't hurt you, it's probably no faster than if you ran up a flight of stairs, and you know it'll be fine in a minute. 

I think you might find posting on a forum about anxiety might be more helpful for you. For a start, it would reassure you that you're not alone! – your health anxiety is pretty typical and you'd find more people out there just like you.

• Posted

I have posted on anxiety forums and also read a book about anxiety etc.. The attacks don't last long typically but they are the worst feeling and very intense...its a fear but because they can happen at the worst times..like driving or with people etc..the worst one I ever got was years ago.. I was walking home from the store late at night and there was snow everywhere no one was around..and. I got the attack...my heart was going so fast I felt a burn in my chest.. I couldn't breath, I thought I was going to die in the snow..I didn't get dizzy or faint though weirdly..I almost rain back home in the worst panic..the feelin has scared for life..whatever that was my heart went totally off the wall.. If someone said 200 BPM I wouldn't be shocked...it was going so fast I had a weak pulse
    • Posted

That is an absolute classic textbook panic attack. You also describe typical situations (driving is extremely common). CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) will help you find your own ways to manage them and gradually you will find they diminish and you even get a sense of humour about them. I know you don't believe me, but in the end you will go down that route, and get your life back. Good luck.
    • Posted

You could be right but I think I have a combo that feed into each other.. I got another attack last night it's been ten days since my last one..i was trying to sleep..wasn't thinking of anything..felt my heart rate climbing and than it went into a mode that cannot be normal..maybe its another type of svt or arrhythmia.. It goes extraordinarily fast,. Way too fast to be from nervousness..had to be 160 or over..and it lasted two or three mins..than the sick weird feeling inside dissipates.. My heart is still racing..but the mode feels like its over and my pulse steadies... Its really weird...it could be from too much nicotine from the ecig I been using perhaps
  • Posted

This may be panic attacks. Regardless of what I say or anyone else, be sure to get checked for SVT.

I was told I had anxiety by a number of doctors, then one doctor took me seriously.

My SVT got very severe. I couldn't exercise because I'd faint. It was dangerous to drive. It was recorded that I have over 40 attacks in one day... Highest record resting heart rate was 210bmp. Though I didn't get hot flushes all the time.

Its a horrible feeling. I'm lucky enough to have had it ablated successfully the first time. It went off almost instantly during the procedure so they found it easily. That's was a year ago. This week I started taking a weight loss pill... They soon went in the bin because that feelings back.in saying that some medications do give the same symptoms as SVT.

• Posted

Not sure if anyone cares, but I have an update on my situation.. I went to the heart doctor and he gave me an ekg.. It said incomplete right something block.. and sinus tachy but i was nervous.. he said it was fine everything is ok... He gave me a holter monitor for one day.. I was p*ssed.. I wanted a 30 day one or a week one to catch these damn episodes... THat night.. I couldn't believe it,, I got the attack.. same thing.. felt that weird feeling.. got hot my heart raced.. and just knowing the monitor recording it made the attack even worse.. I was in one of those full blown heart arrhythmias.  My pulse probably was like 150 or higher I am guessing.. that was over two weeks ago.. I handed in the monitor the next day and was too scared to call for the results.. they never got back to me, but today i had an appointment to go in and get an echo...  Of course my heart rate was fast i was nervous..  I felt terrible..  But i talked to the heart doctor today and he told me my problem is anxiety.. He said I was having a panic attack.. I couldn't believe it.. He said that my heart rate is always high though..  maybe from nerves.. .. but he said my heart is healthy and very strong and he said it was amazing to me that in 24 hours you didn't even have one skipped heart beat..  I didn't think i did since i can usually feel them if i get it.   Overally he sounded convinced my heart was ok and that these were panic attacks..  Is there any chance a holiter monitor could misread an SVT or other arrhytmia?  What i found weird the girl who put the holter on me.. she put the leads all kind of low on the left side below my nipple.. nothing on top..  the pads were kind of like in a line..  I am very happy and relieved.. and I sound like a crazy person.. But now im geting weird thoughts like what if they didn't set up the holter monitor up correctly .. i know sounds nuts.. I just can't believe these attacks were just panic attacks and not some kind of atrial tachy or svt etc..  THey come on out of the blue and my heart goes so damn fast ..  
    • Posted

Well, that's exactly what I thought would happen. That's really a relief then! But I know it won't stop you worrying. When you suffer from chronic anxiety it is impossible to believe it's all emotional, you always want to believe there's a physical cause because in a way that's easier to deal with. But there isn't (they've just told you that). I know you won't take my advice, but believe me, I've been there exactly, halter monitor and all and in the end by far the best thing to do is get counselling. They teach you the connection between mind and body and how your thoughts can make your heart race in an instant, and what the role of adrenaline is, and how to deal with it all. And honestly, just talking about it to a professional helps. Please try it!
    • Posted

Sue... You are right and i am going to try and attack this at all angles.. I just have a feeling the doctor is wrong.. The monitor was hooked up with the connections in a straight line under my left nipple.. I had no connections above it i found that pretty weird.. How does it pick up your atria with the connections so low..  Im such in a bad position now because no one is ever gonna believe its physical .. I just got another attack last night.. and this can't be anxiety.. Im half a sleep im not thinking of anything at all. I just was happy and reassured nothing is wrong with my heart im not thinking of anything i wasn't nervous.. and it hits me at night when im trying to go to sleep.. My gutt is telling me this isn't an anxiety attack.  Do yout hink i should get the results and send them to someone for a second opinion?  I want it to be anxiety .. I realy do.. it just doesn't feel like an anxiety attack
    • Posted

Your gut is wrong and the professionals are right. They actually know what they're doing. I suspect that you will just go on like this refusing to believe that your symptoms are entirely down to anxiety, you will never tackle the real cause, and you will never get better.
    • Posted

That could very well be right Sue.. I just feel its more than that.. that perhaps it is a combination of something.. If its not SVT or my heart which it feels like, perhaps I am deficient in a vitamin or some kind of stomach issue or something.. I have no idea.. I know I have anxiety so it could be all of that.. People like me might come off annoying and simple minded.. If it is anxiety my anxiety is a very tricky disease that knows how to fool you. I am just hoping that it really isn't some kind of heart arrythmia and it was over looked some how.. I can't see how I did wear a monitor.. but when the girl put the monitor on me it seemed to be set up kind of weird.. 

I want to thank you for the support and talking to me through this.  It has meant a lot.  and I will take your advice because I want to tackle it from all angles not just the health or heart issue.. I also will just get a blood test to make sure my system is alright.   But for the record.. if it is anxiety.. anxiety can make your heart go REALLY fast.. The oh anxiety attacks don't make your heart go super face is bogus in my case.. my heart races at svt levels. 

• Posted

Anxiety can make your heart go REALLY fast (perhaps you should try taking your pulse? It might reassure you).Anxiety can also make your fingers tingle, make you light-headed, raise your blood pressure, give you pain in your chest (when your muscles contract), give you diarrhoea, give you cystitis-like pain, back pain, neck pain (any pain really), make you hyperventilate, affect your hearing, raise your adrenaline levels to the point where you are terrified, and on and on... anxiety starts in your brain and your brain is in charge of the rest of your body and there is a to-and-fro effect... so your body reacts and ratchets up the anxiety... you need to talk to someone. Good luck.
    • Posted

I meant to say (in case it helps) that like you, I still get those night-time pounding fast heart-rates for no apparent reason, but now I just regard it as a nuisance, no worse (actually not as irritating) as hiccups. That's what you learn to do with counselling/therapy. It fundamentally changes your whole attitude to physical symptoms. You learn not to be so afraid and you find your sense of humour again. Can't recommend it highly enough... but I'm repeating myself here! I'm sure you've had enough of me.
    • Posted

haha no sue.. im the one people are tired of .. not you'! lol.  Yes I know what you are saying.. Sometimes I get an anxiety attack when im awake and can realize its from nerves and just float past it and not let it get to me.. Like a cloud that is passing by.   Taking my pulse is a double edge sword.. When its REALLY fast.. it just makes me even more nervous and convinced its my heart.. The speed of my pulse is really what convinced me it wasn't anxiety.. I am telling you it goes to SVT levels I wouldn't be surprised if its reached as high as 180 at times. The night time attacks are going to be very very difficult to view them as hiccups.. I might need medication.. It is just too intense and comes on too hard.. Im not hyperventilating, im not getting tingly fingers.. I don't even have a chance to build up to that.. Its just a quick feeling of feeling a hot flash and than my heart takes off and when it does it feels uncomfortable in my chest and i start sweating like crazy .. it hits me fast and hard and if im lucky it lasts only a min or two.. sometimes it keeps going and i could be dead calm and my heart races like hell..  the way these attacks hit me really really really convinced me that it wasn't just a panic attack.  But I am going to take your advice and just try to force myself to accept it is a panic attack and get the right treatment for it.. in the meantime a simple blood test or something might not hurt.. I just really hope that monitor was set up right on me and they didn't over look something. 

THanks sue. 

• Posted

I found this feed while searching why o keep having SVT when sleeping. Your explanation described everything I have been dealing with. I'm dealing with autoimmune issues on top of it. But the more I read through these feeds, I feel I hVe an anxiety problem. I have always been the back bone of my entire family. Is it possible to have so much built up stress that anxiety is the result? Whenever I get the SVT, I have the chills and my hr bounces between 120-250. Dr put me on blood pressure pills and these episodes still keep happening.

Anyways, I just wanted to say I appreciated your insight on this topic

• Posted

I've used holter monitors for 4 weeks, 2 weeks and one week. They picked up nothing but PVCs. I have SVT but it is completely unpredictable. The doctor told me it was unlikely a monitor would catch an attack. I think the CBT suggestion is really good. Learn to know what your anxiety triggers are and how you respond to them. It's possible to have anxiety and SVT at the same time and be able to tell the difference. I had anxiety for two years while my husband went thru chemotherapy. But the difference between the two is very clear. They feel different. Anxiety felt like my brain spinning in a million directions and feeling unable to exercise control over my mental and physical reactions to a stressful situation. SVT feels like a loud internal click followed by a revving engine. My mind has always been curiously clear when it happens like I'm standing outside myself and watching it happen. I hope you've figured it out by now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.