SVT triggered by illness or fever?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

since being about 15, I'm nearly 18 now, I've had a number of short episodes of SVT (30 secs - 2 mins) . When i first started getting them, I would only ever get them when I was ill and generally hot and congested, with cold and flu. I put it down to my use of sudafed and other medications which may have been triggering it. However, after stopping these medications,I still get most of my episdoes when I'm ill and wondering if it should be a cause for concern? My only other triggers generally are bending over or standing up quickly. I've had 3 ecgs and 72 hour monitor and never caught an episode because I often go months without them.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

A good question to ask your health care people, James. I've often read of an association between respiratory illness and increasing frequency of SVT, but I don't recall anything there to much worry about. An otherwise healthy heart would handle brief SVT quite well, even with a cold/flu challenge. By the way, my first SVT episodes were at 16 or so, and 56 years later I I've been SVT free for the 2 years since my second ablation. I suspect you'll do better than I've done, and I've done pretty well. Take care.

• Posted

I think it's the uncertainty of the episodes that worry me the most. At times I forget that I even have SVT because my episodes seem to disappear, other times I can have 3 short episodes in an hour or so, it varies a lot. But since my first episode 2 or 3 years ago, if anything, my episodes have become less frequent, but I think it's because I'm more careful at trying to avoid triggers.

• Posted

I can relate too well to anxiously awaiting the next bite from this obnoxious monster. I hope that with time and appropriate medical help, you'll work your way out of those fears. I'm glad you're avoiding triggers. I had some success there, but one of mine was bending over. Tough to avoid that one.

One more thought. Should health-care practitioners you trust recommend ablation, please give it strong consideration. It took two of such for me, but the second was remarkably successful. My quality of life has been terrifically improved. I wish you well.

• Posted

It's good to hear that you're doing well and can live a long normal life with SVT. I've had episodes of SVT from bending over as well, and one from running up the stairs, it's odd that such little things can trigger them. Luckily at the moment, I've managed to stop all of my episodes except one by holding my breath, and the other episode thankfully stopped on its own after about 5 minutes.

• Posted

Here's wishing you continued success with stopping your episodes with breath holding. That sometimes worked for me, too, the Val Salva maneuver moreso. Have you read of/seen the video on the modified Val Salva? It apparently is working well for lots of us SVT folks. Best wishes, and take care.

• Posted

Thank You. I haven't read too much into valsalva maneuvers as of yet because thankfully I've been quite successful with stopping them so far, but it's definitely something I'll look into for the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.