swabs for BV/Thrush came back negative, but BV symptoms persist.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm 18, and my symptoms include itching, redness, thick yellow discharge (visually similar to snot or mucus), and odour (smells similar to an old/wet sock). I've had these symptoms on and off for a couple years (approx. 3?) However they've been persistent for the last couple of months.

Recently, I went to see my school doctor about it (I'm aware I shouldn't have left this problem untreated for so long but I was quite young at the time and too embarrassed to ask anyone for help), they had swabs sent away and they came back negative for yeast infection and thrush (I think the second test was for thrush, I can't remember too clearly). The doctor had given me an anti-inflammatory/anti-fungal cream, MICREME H (contains: Miconazole Nitrate 2% w/w and Hydrocortisone 1% w/w) but it had no effect and I have yet to go back to the doctor.

I did some research and think it might be lactobacillus overgrowth/cytolitic vaginosis but I'm not too sure. Anyone have any idea what it might be? Please help 😦 thank you.

Note: I've never had any kind of sexual intercourse before.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

you can still have bv , theres many different types of bacteria that cause bv other than gardnerella which they usually test for. they usually use a basic panel. also test for mycoplasma and ureaplasma i tested positive for ureaplasma. i still have itchiness and burning so i might need another course of antibiotics or i might still have bv

• Posted

Are you taking any medication or are you adopting healthy lifestyle habits? To treat the condition, you should:

• Consume More Probiotics
    • Wear Cotton Underwear
    • Don’t use Scented Feminine Hygiene Products And Soaps
    • Do not Douche
    • Sleep More
    • Eat A Healthy Diet and Avoid Sugar

Most yeast infections will require an anti-fungal medication (oral or topical). Fugacil cream should clear up a yeast infection in a few days to weeks. BV infections, on the other hand, will require an antibiotic. If these treatments do not work, go back to the doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.