Swallowing difficulties

Posted , 3 users are following.

This issue has been ongoing for some time but has really declined recently.

Have had two tubes down my mouth and into my stomach the past few years and was told I had a Hiatus Hernia and a loose splinter but nothing to worry about.

My GP said the swallowing difficulties was caused by Globus Histeria but recently I notice that it couldnt be globus as globus is a lump in my throat.

I have severe difficulties with liquids and tablets, this is really effecting my life.

Any advice

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would persist in getting a concrete diagnosis. It isn't clear what your swallowing difficulties are. Is it hard to swallow? Does food go down fine but then get stuck and/or come back up? 

To get a concrete diagnosis of achalasia, you need to get a manometry done. It's an unpleasant procedure but the upper endoscopies (what you've had so far) can't provide a definite diagnosis of achalasia.

• Posted

I struggle really bad to swallow liquids and tablets, food is ok.

I have to eat the tablet below I swallow it or if its a capsule, mix it in with food.

Liquids is awful as I have to swirl it around my mouth before I swallow.

Doctor still thinks its anxiety related but she is referring me for a barium swallow and to a speech therapist

• Posted

I would get your Dr. do a total workip with you. Starting with a Barium swallow. You may need an esophageal dilutation. Research your condition and take charge of your health. As you learn, insist that certain tests be done on you till you find what’s going on with you and how to correct it. 

DJRN

• Posted

I just feel like im talking to a wall sometimes with my doctor, she just puts everything down to Anxiety. so frustrating
    • Posted

I know that you are frustrated and don’t feel well. For your Dr. to have said that all of this may be due to anxiety, sometimes that’s true. I’m sure she has run tests on you and had a good reason for saying that. Anxiety can be debilitating and cause many physiological problems. Or, they can cause symptoms that are similar to other physiological illnesses. 

DJRN

• Posted

I have had difficulty swallowing mildly in the best when highly anxious or during a panic attack but this is so different, it is constant. Im even chocking and coughing up fluids
  • Posted

I have lived with anxiety and panic attacks on and off most of my adult life. I also have stage 3 spastic Alchalasia. Often, when a patient is known to have underlying psychological problems, Dr’s can be too quick to write symptoms off as being psychological related. Just like you, I knew that the symptoms I was experiencing were not psychological related. We know our bodies and we usually know what is related to stress or anxiety and what isn’t. So, I’m not inclined to dismiss your symptoms and tell you that they are probably due to you anxiety or stress just because you have a history of it. Your symptoms suggest that there is something more sinister going on. If I were you, I would see a good GI Dr. and have him run a battery of tests on you to rule out other illnesses. I don’t know if you have had a barium swallow yet or not. But that with speech pathology would be a good place to start to get a picture of what’s going on whenever you swallow. A manometry test may also be something that your Dr’s might want to consider running as well. Don’t let all of these Dr’s try and convince you that this is psychological related before they have run tests on you that supports that. We know our bodies. We know when something just isn’t right. So, stick to that until tests come back that supports it. Anxiety could very easily be the cause of your condition. It can and often does mimic symptoms of many serious illnesses. But again, I wouldn’t let anyone tell you that’s the cause of it until all of your tests come back that supports it. I wish you the best!

DJ~RN

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have suffered from Anxiety for a long long time, all my adult life so I do feel this is very different to anything before and I am going to keep pushing it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.