Swallowing Difficulty

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been having constant swallowing difficulty 24/7 for five months now. I can swallow food and drink fine (sometimes food gets stuck, but not often) but my main problem is swallowing when I have an empty mouth. Like when you walk around, and you just need to swallow. Whenever I feel like I need to swallow it won't seem to work for a half a secind, then it goes down.

I force up burps, but not like a normal burp, it's throaty and comes from my stomach I think. Everytime I do some food or drink comes back up my throat and into my mouth.

I am having a lot of muscle twitches. They are like a little drum and they just thump away for 5 or 6 seconds then stop and they move all over my body.

Does this sound like LPR?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I don't want to alarm you, but this sounds more like a muscle issue, rather than a digestive issue.  It could be a first symptom of a muscle disease.  Did this problem start abruptly or did it start gradually?  But regardless, you should at least see your GP and get some testing done.
    • Posted

Abruptly. I am on 40mg of Omeprazole a day just now for the swallowing as the ENT thought he saw imflamation regarding reflux.

I don't know why I mentioned the muscle twitches. They are probably unrelated.

• Posted

It sounds like the muscular contractions are out of sync in your esophagus.  That really needs to addressed to find out the cause.  It could lead to a choking situation.  Until you find the cause, you should be sleeping on an 8 inch or more incline.  If the cause is related to inflamation in the esophagus caused by reflux, then I would suggest drinking ice water all day long.  It will help reduce esophageal inflamation and stomach acid production.
  • Posted

Dear me,  dont frighten poor wakefield.         Go and see your GP or similar if not in the UK.     This could very much be sorry to say but in your mind.     I am a worrier and can imagine all kinds of things.     They say that if you read a medical book by the time you have finished it , you will have everything known to man wrong with you.   Bite the bullet and go and get professional advice.    Worrying like I do gets you nowhere.   I am taking a leaf out of my own book today and booking an appointment for a chat as well.
  • Posted

Sounds like what u have Acid Reflux. Go see your gp and ask for a referral for a Laparoscopy x
  • Posted

Ive had difficulty swallowing for over 20 years and have researched it extensively. For anyone who has trouble swallowing meats, rice etc., esophageal spasms that are unidentified by doctors, please look into transdermal magnesium oil. Some of this is due to anxiety, stress hypersensitivity and hyper awareness. Transdermal magnesium oil Does Not upset your stomach. It is absorbed by your skin and relaxes muscles that help you swallow.  PLEASE READ ABOUT MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY! 

You can get the oil on line or learn to make it yourself. Spray yourself daily rub it in. I went to doctors for years. They could not diagnose. Be well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.