Swallowing hurts

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have not had a cold, feel find, throat is not sore at all, but im struggling swallowing, hurts on one side more than the other, liquids hurt too. Any one experienced this ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi christine63500

I have this problem quite regularly. I have been told that it is a form of spasm. When it happens, I tend to drink cold fluids for a while. I find that this helps.

I don't know about yourself, but I find that sometimes it feels like I have a small lump on the one side as well...does this sound familiar?

• Posted

hi mark yes definitely feels like a small lump too, its odd because its not every single time i swallow and sometimes sort of depends the position my neck is in - sounds mad and hard to explain. didnt you find swallowing cold fluids hurt too? how long do this spasms last with you ?
    • Posted

I have this problem at least 3-4 times a day. Most of the time I have cold drinks, whether it is cold tea, coffee or water and food I tend to suck frozen peas.

If I try anything that is warm/hot during a spasm then I start to choke and start losing my breath.

But I have noticed that my airway has started to narrow as well. As of yet I have not done anything about this as I seem able to cope at the moment.

But by all means get yourself checked out. I won't go just yet as I am dealing with plenty at the moment in relation to medical issues and don't need anymore yet, as I am being treated by three hospital's at this time.

• Posted

you could have glands up on one side of your throat ,thats good because it means there doing there job and tryin gto fight something of .

if it gets worse see your gp find out what your dealing with then maybe someone will have some better advice . you can try using a silver and saline nasel spray and the same in  sore throat spray . i think silver works well for most things .razz

• Posted

I have a throat spray in the cupboard since christmas, but i dont have a sore throat its further down and hurts only when i swallow 
    • Posted

i go to the doctors hun  try and get a diognoses ,something that cant be seen isent easy to treat,you need to know whats wrong.sad
    • Posted

im going to see how it goes over the next few days but if no better monday will go to gp 
    • Posted

best to find out what the problem is before trying to deal with it .

let us no how you get on .sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.