Swallowing problems due to anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Trouble swallowing food very uncomfortable can only manage soft foods ie shepherd's pie

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi June

this is what I had didn't eat for about 3 weeks chewing gum helps and sipping water it will get better u learn to cope with it and not panic so much

• Posted

Hi June ,

This is horrible , it will go eventually .

You can also get an anxiety thing where you cant make yourself swallow without panic , or you feel theres something stuck in your throat .

Its dreadful what anxiety does .

Take care and remember it will pass

• Posted

This has been going on since beginning of August it is so uncomfortable to swallow get alot of mucus etc in the throat and excessive saliva. Been on citalopram for 10 weeks. Had numerous test endoscopy and swallow tests all normal

• Posted

Try to worry, its just anxiety....continue to eat soft foods that slip down and plenty of water. How many weeks in are you with medication?

• Posted

10 weeks on Citalopram this has been going on since August

• Posted

It won't last forever . Ive had something called Globus hystericus off and on since i was a child , and still cant swallow tablets easily .

An episode of it can last months .

Or it could be a side effect from the Citalopram .

Youve had all the medical tests .

It will go eventually when you dont even realise .

Its uncomfortable but its nothing sinister . Take care

• Posted

It will stop eventually. I have episodes pf retching and sometimes throw up with anxiety. Just try not to worry about it. I try to be humourous about the retching to take the stress away from it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.