Swap meal ideas?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Apparently most families recycle the same 8-10 meals consistently which means we can get bored. This must be harder for people like us who need to keep things interesting when trying to lose weight so I wondered if people wanted to share their fave recipes so we can all try new ones?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Faves I my house are:

Chunky beef & bean chilli with sweet potato wedges - extra lean diced beef cooked long & slow with onions, garlic, peppers, courgettes, mushrooms, mixed beans & sweetcorn in a passata sauce with fresh chilli or chilli powder in with a couple of beef stock cubes. Served with wedges but you could have rice/cauliflower rice/baked potato/baked sweet potato etc

Fish pie - whatever fish you fancy (tuna/white fish/prawns) & hard boiled eggs in a sauce made from x1 tube primula light cheese mixed with 300ml veg stock & topped with mashed potato or my fave is a butternut squash & mashed potato combo.

• Posted

Hi cath, my daughter make a great spaghetti bol, with the slimming wold, I will get the recipes from her as we have been having Chinese stir frys and some quick easy fried rice and chicken tikka breast prices both a few minutes in the microwave great if you can't bebothred cooking, 

im shattered to night but i will see her tomorrow and get the recipes, 

have been making a lot of different soups all free food on slimming world, 

speak to you tomorrow, hopefully there will be a few good things to try, 

hope you are keep well, 

loraine x

• Posted

I have a lot of favorites for various diets I have done but my go tos when trying to eat healthy is:

Spaghetti Bolognaise with Courgetti (Make your own courgetti or buy it at the shop, also works with butternut squash noodles or obviously pasta). I dry fry the mince in about 3 tbsp water , then add in onion and mushrooms, sometimes carrots or sweet corn --whatever is to hand really-- then add in some cherry tomatoes for a little bit extra tomato richness, 1 beef stock melt (love those things) and tomato passta. Add your spices (basil, oregano, garlic..whatever). 

--Can do the sauce in the slow cooker as well and its lovely

''Taco Bowls'' I basically make a taco salad. Fry up some mince or fajita style chicken, stick it on a bed of lettuce, tomato, spring onion, and then small amount of cheddar cheese or sour cream, and a healthy dollop of salsa (Sainsburys has a basic one that is good and pretty healthy). For this I add in some unsalted tortilla chips for the kids/hubby. You can get away with 2-3 chips crushed and sprinkled over the salad as well if you like that crunch.

''Chicken enchiladas'' I normally use leftover chicken for this (so like if you had a whole chicken and pluck the rest of the chicken off--that stuff works great here). Take a carton of tomato passata and mix it with mexican/tex mex spices. Leave them out if you don't like spicy stuff.  Chop or shred your cooked chicken, mix it with half the tomato passata.You can add peppers and onions here if your family like them...mine dont like...well anything HA ha.  Anyway put your chicken mixture inside a wholemeal/white tortilla. Then you can add cheddar cheese, just be careful how much you use/or use low fat for yours. Get an oven dish and smear a little tomato mixture at the bottom so the tortilla doesnt stick. Then layer your enchaladas on the sauce with folded side down. Cover the burritos with the remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle with a little more cheese. I usually serve these with salad as they are pretty tasty on their own. I eat them spicy, hubby and kids eat them non spicy...everyone loves them ha ha. 

I love making Hawaiian Pork but not done it since orilista....use at your own discretion. It is tasty but not sure how orlistat would like it. 

Get a gammon round or pork chop, smear it with cream cheese (say 1 tsp or so) and put a slice of pineapple (or crushed pineapple) on top. Then bake in the oven. I serve this with sweet potato wedges or mash, and green veg (broccolli/peas/green beans).

If you want a gluten/flour free pancake. Mash up 1 banana, with 1 egg, and fry it in a pan with some of that low fat spray stuff or whatever. It goes in a bit soupier than normal pancake batter but just leave it to set a little before you flip it and it will make a decent replacement that is healthy. They are also pretty sweet on their own so you shouldnt need to add much to them. I like to top these with some low fat cottage cheese and fruit. Sounds weird but it is lovely. 

''Icecream'' now I used to make this with a frozen banana, and a tbsp of peanut butter wizzed up in a blender. (Make sure the banana has 2-3 minutes out of the freezer before blending to sofent a little) Makes a lovely alternative to icecream. However now that I am on orlistat it could be questionable. I havent tried it yet but assuming the peanut butter might total kill us? I think if you were to use the frozen banana, it would still be nice but not as creamy? Or you could try blending it with some yogurt maybe. Worth a shot of you are a ice cream fanatic. Dark chocolate chips, or a sprinkle of coconut really make it feel naughty. smile

• Posted

You've made me feel hungry now lol! Nice to hear someone else makes enchiladas like I do - I stuff mine with loads of red onion & mixed peppers along with the chicken & use weight watchers tortilla wraps as they're really low in fat & have added fibre.

Yep I imagine peanut butter would not go down well even though I've been craving the stuff. A weak spot is a peanut butter & cheese toastie...needless to say I've not had 1 in 2 months!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.