Swapped one pain for another ???

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 11weeks post op ( spinal fusion L5 S1 & disectomy ) my legs have been great since the surgery but in the last couple of weeks my back has been hurting badly, my L5 is also out but surgeon thought just doing one would fix the problem, A large lump rises up and down about an inch above the scar site , anf I feel alor of pressure on my back, had phsio appointment tomorrow but it was cancelled today, going to try contact my surgeon to get some answers, has anyone experienced this ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Omg so sorry to hear your feeling like this, you need to call your consultant and see if you can get an appointment, best to get this checked out early in case you need to go back in hospital before things heal too much, was it you that cancelled the physio or was it them as its best to try and go as they might have been able to help out with the problem or tell you the best way on going forward, even tho we had similar operations on the same areas mine was the left sacroiliac joint fusion and at the moment I'm still on all my pain meds zomorph, pregabalin, anti depressants , nurofen , paracetamol etc and also on crutches for 4/6 weeks partial weight bearing.

Hope you get answers sooner rather than later and wishing you all the best, hope you feel better soon,

All the best

Kat

X

• Posted

Thanks katwitch, it was the phsio that cancelled, seen my Gp today he said I havenalott of swelling, put me on oxynorn and karel, and to use a heat pack, if thers no change in a couple of days to go to A&E , hope yourr ok can I ask why they put you on antidepressants , I've noticed alot pf ppl on these forum's on antidepressants, ?
    • Posted

Hi

I was already on antidepressants before as they said they work as a nerve blocker and also as I'm going to be off work for 5 months I would probably need something to help get me through the long recovery as the fusion I had is harder to get through than a normal fusion 😕

Hope you feel better soon and if things don't settle down go to a&e as suggested by your gp

• Posted

Hi Caroline, yes I have experienced it. Went into Spire 6 years ago and paid £7,000 as my dr was messing me about and I was in so much pain. They were supposed to L3/4 and l4/5 which had shown up on the MRI and X Ray and pain, I cannot tell you how much pain I had after the op.  Anyway I came to Spain.  I stood outside the Police Station to get my medical card and I was so so ill.  It took me months to get in front of a surgeon and saw in the end a general orthopaedic and he gave me cortisone jabs for 2 years (in fact I go on Friday to the pain clinic and going to ask for more as it was the only thing that worked) and since I have been messed about by the pain clinic here - in fact walked out on one occasion they were so terrible.   I did go back to the surgeon and said I was still in pain but he just shrugged.  I can tell you I have thought of everything as now I have the S1 out too and that is serious. Then I wondered, the surgeon took £7,000 from me at the door of the hospital (I didn't think I had to pay up front ha ha) and then going back it came into my mind, I only paid him that amount, suppose he found something else (the S1) and just sewed me up - as I have quite a big scar.  You know how things go into your mind.   My life long friend in Chester has just gone through everything I went through - same, believe it or not the same levels - and they have told her it would be dangerous to operate.

What I can't figure out is why, in this day and age, money is poured into this and that something to do with the spine is put on a shelf to forget all about it.  America is the place if you can afford to go. Have you been onto Spine Health to find out about pain after an operation.

I don't want to read anything else personally, I am 73 coming up and if I live to my mother's age (she had discs out and she had nothing done) well that 20 years, I can't think what I will be doing.  Caroline. stick in with it, and get that surgeon to give us some answers and let us know what he says.  These comments could affect us all.

• Posted

Hi Enna1,'Im just back from a visit with my GP, he said I have. alot pf swelling probably due to overdoing things in work and at home, he put me on Karel and oxynorm for five.days and suggested I use a heat pack, he wasn't a 100% about the swelling and said if it doesn't go away in a couple of days that I should go to A& E,, he said because I have some pain in my buttocks that it could be nerve damage from the second disc, Im reall hoping its not more problems,, thanks for the reply,
    • Posted

I have nerve pain in my buttocks..... - same levels as you  Just take it easy. A good saying is "slowly wins the race".  Ironing and things hoovering can wait - it won't be so long before up are up and at em.  If it was me, I would go to A & E the day your surgeon is working lol.

Take it easy....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.