Sweating

Posted , 9 users are following.

Please could anyone tell me if they sweat excessively on predicting this last week iv been sweating quite bad it comes and go's like a hot flush but a lot worse than I've had before I'm absolutely wet through have to open door or Windows to cool down its driving me mad thank you for all your help its much appreciated

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paula, you are certainly not alone with these horrible sweats.  Leave you wringing  wet and wrung out in no time at all.  Like you say, and we thought the hot flushes were as bad as it could get! I was diagnosed with PMR in December last year but developed GCA at the end of September, closely followed by the PMR.  I seem to remember the sweats being with me from the very beginning.  Whether its another of these symptoms which is common to pred use too, I am unsure but rest assured you are not alone.  I find it helpful to take a wrung out face flannel to bed and put it round the back of my neck if it gets too horrible in the night.  Light layers and frequent clothes changes seem to be the order of the day.  You can get really cold just as quickly so if you have a shawl or towel to hand, wrap itd round your shoulders to save gettting too chilled.  Unfortunately I think this is with us for the duration of our PMR journey. I think that knowing you're not experiencing something no-one else is can be a help.  Thanks to this forum we really are never alone!  Keep as well as you can and make sure you drink enough water.

• Posted

Thank you rose I wasn't too sure if it was the pred that was causing it or the horrible hot flushes had come back with a vengeance lol

• Posted

Hello Paula

I also had nightime sweats as forerunners to being 'diagnosed' with PMR. They were among the first of my symptoms and i knew they were odd as I didn't even have them during menopause in my late 50s (I am almost 65 now). Because they preceded my use of prednisolone I have assumed they are part of PMR (rather than use of pred) and although they have simmered down - especially at night - if I go for a long walk - despite the temperature or even my level of exertion I come home feeling almost 'drenched'. I have seen elsewhere that others with PMR often have these as well. Maybe not the worst of our symptoms but something else we could all do without !!

All the best 

Rimmy

• Posted

Thank you Rimmy I never knew it was part of PMR just thought it was a side effect of pred. Thank you for your advice
  • Posted

It's a listed side effect of pred - but it is also, as Rimmy says, part of the autoimmune part of PMR/GCA. Sweats are listed as a symptom.

• Posted

I think the hot flashes from prednisone is by far at least 3 times worst then menapause hot flashes. My husband says I have a fire that burns in me. I am always hot and then I have hot flashes on top of that. I have a fan blowing on my all the time. I consider wearing a coat only if the temperture outside is 35 degrees. LOL
    • Posted

Thank you amkoffee it's true they are worse than any hot flush I've had with the menopause I'm usually a cold person heating up full always wrapped up but now ivan taken to a light blanket to sleep in stead of my duvet then I wake up cold lol silly me

• Posted

You are not alone, Paula! I'm down to 7 mg from 60mg and am still having hot flashes and sweating profusely.  It's worse when I'm trying to get ready after taking a shower, so I try to run cool water on myself after I'm all clean.  Usually, I have to turn the fan up to high speed and stand underneath before I can begin putting on makeup! I live in Florida, so it's generally warm/hot out.  Thank God for AC.

• Posted

Thank you Pam At first I thought the hot flushes had come back o only with a vengeance but these sweats leave you wrung out there horrendous I've got a freezer full of ice lollys my daughter rang me other night at 10pm I was eating ice lolly she thought I aS nuts lol

• Posted

Hi, yes I also sweat from the top of my head and it just runs down into my eyes and face : Drives me crazy: But only since I started tapering ?  Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.