Sweating is a problem.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Had biopsy but blood tests were normal. Is sweating due to Prednisone or infection ??

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Valerie81974, I believe my sweating is do to the Predinisone. Did not sweat on lower doses of Predinisone. Just change my T shirt couple times a night. 🙂

• Posted

Definitely due to the prednisone. I had the menopause hot flashes and then I went right from that into the prednisone hot flashes. I can tell you now prednisone hot flashes are way worse.
  • Posted

I found the sweating one of the worst side effects of pred. Horrible!
    • Posted

On high dose, I am a total mess ready to jump out of my skin, diabetic neuropathy is terrible, taking plenty of walks and trying to counting to ten a lot. Yes, I am sweating and my mouth is on fire, but it will all pass. I still have a big smile on my face when I think 6-7 weeks in a wheelchair. 🙂🙂🙂

• Posted

Blood tests are normal in up to 1 in 5 of patients.

Sweating can be due to PMR/GCA or prednisone or both. Everyone is different.

You don't have an infection in PMR/GCA - it is an inflammatory condition. The pred is only combating the inflammation as it forms each day - the actual cause is still ongoing in the background. The cause is an autoimmune condition which is making your immune system unable to recognise your body as self and so it attacks the tissues as if the cells were invading viruses or bacteria - causing damge and inflammation. But it isn't an infection.

I had sweats for a long time before I was put on pred - and they did improve some after going on to pred. People who have sweats due to pred find they do improve as the dose falls.

• Posted

I agree EileenH, I sweated last year on high dose of Pred, no much as the dose lower, then 30 mg, change my T shirt couple times during the night. Night Sweats, now LADIES, I for one understand night sweats!
  • Posted

I Know exactly what the time is when the sweats start...an hour after taking the pred....like clockwork....I`m on 10mgish......
  • Posted

I had head sweats for a few months before diagnosis - my glasses were always fogged up. cry​ I think mine are more to do with flare ups than pred, but then we are all different. I use a Keith Richards type sweatband some days - my pre teen granddaughter is mortifiedsmile
    • Posted

Last night was a 3 T shirt night, seems as soon as I dose off I start to sweat. But up and moving around no sweating​.
    • Posted

Yesterday after eating sweat dripped from my hair. But, can get out of bed without a struggle and walk around better.  Still very tired but going with the flow. This group is wonderful as I couldn't understand my symptoms or treatment at all. Still haven had diagnosis since December. Biopsy for GCA due this week.

• Posted

I sweated every night for months and lost 20 lbs before diagnosed with PMR.  Once on pred, I stopped sweating.  After 1 1/2 years, down to 6 mgs pred for last 6 months, sweat is minimal.
    • Posted

On 22 1/2 mg and still sweating most nights at least 2 sometimes 3 T shirt, I will be happy to get down where the Pred does not have my hands and feet on fire and my mouth feels normal. My wife will be happy if I am not ready to jump out of my skin. But I still smiling. 🙂

• Posted

I have been down to 10 mg and I still sweat like a pig. Well actually I'm a female so I glisten like a pig. LOL so my point being that just because you get to a lower dose of prednisone doesn't necessarily mean you're going to stop sweating. Either that or you're going to have to wait till you get down real low.

• Posted

amkoffe I didn't have the night sweats when I was on smaller doses last fall and winter, hopefully this time will be the same! Still smiling! 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.