Sweating with Amitriptyline

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

Has anyone else who uses Amitriptyline experienced problems with excessive sweating ? I was prescribed with this drug to reduce tension style headaches /anxiety - but have noticed I easily and alarmingly how much I sweat since taking it. I only have to engage in moderate exercise and it looks as if I have run a marathon ! It seems I either have to put up with the head-pressure / dizziness without the drug or the chronic sweating with it 😦

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

yes! even had the hot arms and legs in bed.

• Posted

Thanks Paula - I am reasonably active and not too unfit for my age but was shocked at how quickly I dehydrate / sweat since using this drug. It can be quite embarrassing and makes me feel like a sweaty old man !

• Posted

Hi Crispy, your post has just reminded me, I used to have to drink loads as had a dry mouth alot, even used to have to get out of bed to get some water at night, so it all sounds normal to me.

Its a case of weighing up the side effects with the good the meds are doing you. For me, I couldnt cope with the side effects so took myself off them.

All the best to you.

• Posted

i also get hot feet and legs in bed but i thought it was because of my spinal cord injury thats left me with partial paralysis from the shoulders down (only partial paralysis. nothing too severe) The amitryptilline is or nerve pai and pins and needles and its very effective.

• Posted

• Posted

I have also noticed that I seem to now have a strong desire for sugar ! Can't complete a working day without a bag of sweets being handy !!

• Posted

yes that too and carbohydrates which are the same I think...I had huge cravings, which have now gone away.

• Posted

Have a good read of the patient leaflet that comes with your meds, I didnt and wish I had done, I now read everything.

• Posted

• Posted

sorry about the repeated response there seems to be a problem on here with this.

• Posted

I didn't have sweating but after long term use this drug literally made my cognitive abilities shrink to the point I failed 2 tests & was labeled as having dementia! I was set up for an appt with a neuropsychologist! While waiting for the appt my Dr said let's take you off some meds. I stopped 1, but symptoms continued. When I stopped amitryptiline (horrible debilitating withdrawals) my brain worked fine & I passed cognitive tests 100%.

Maybe more info than you wanted but I always warn people this drug can be dangerous. If you're already having issues I urge you to try to find another medicine!

• Posted

Hi Lala, I remember your story, you helped me alot, I have also recovered well and all my scary symptoms have disappeared, and just wanted to say, I couldnt agree more with you with regards to staying well away from this medication.

• Posted

ive taken it for 12 years for nerve pain following a spinal cord injury. initially i was taking 75mgs but, over the years, ive improved and i now only take 20mgs. i sweat a lot from my face but only in hot weather and i cant say its a side effect of the drug. Probably more to do with the menopause. Im now 67 years old. On the higher dosage i used to get a very dry mouth, but not now. what dose are you taking?

• Posted

no i havent had this i get very tired sorry to hear this linda.

• Posted

I know its been a few years since you posted but i am experiencing horrible pressure in my head and i have to lay down a lot of the time just to get through the day. It makes me feel woozy and wonky all the time and i can't function. I am up to 40 mg amitriptyline so far. What dose did you take to get rid of the pressure and dizziness?

• Posted

Hi There,

Since the above messages I have since been prescribed with Sertraline which have now been using for about a year. Unfortunately, I have to say that I still very much experience brain fog and head pressure - have just come to accept and try and cope with it. It normally builds in certain environments where there are other people (such as workplace), I believe that a lot of it is caused by tension.

On my journey home my head feels tight and foggy, within a couple of hours of returning home the fog slowly dissolves and begin to feel normal again. If any of this sounds familiar I shouldn't worry about any more sinister problems such as a brain tumour - I have had MRI / Nuero tests - all come back normal.

I mentioned above that Amitriptyline caused me excessive sweating - well it seems the same is true for me with Sertraline !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.