Sweet taste.

Posted , 3 users are following.

About 4 years ago I had a chlosteatoma removed it was extremely large erouded away all the inner ear parts and the bone separating the ear canal from the brain and it had started growing into my brain. I did have bone conduction hearing aid installed. Recently I've been experiencing an increased sweet taste in my mouth and lips that isn't going away, I have had this in the past but not like it's been lately it doesn't go away. Anyone else been experiencing this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Havent had a sweet taste but i have had the same thing happen to me as you have. The Tegmen bone (the bone between the ear canal and the brain) erroded away in my ear canal due to the cholesteatoma and ive been having brain fluid leaking into my middle ear. I have a canal wall down mastoidectomy surgery scheduled this month (march 23rd) to have the cholesteatoma removed and some kind of artificial bone put in place to cover the brain area.

How well did your surgery go ? Did you experience much pain waking up in recovery ? Are you having any complications now ? I am 49 yrs. old and this will pretty much be the first major surgery ive ever had to go through. Been pretty healthy all my life. Pretty nervous and worked up about about this. Could use some advice on maybe some do's and dont's before and after surgery ... From what i gather , i am being provided with one of the best surgeons in my area for this type of surgery , so maybe mine will go well. ............... Greg Pendry

• Posted

Greg as far as pain I had very little not much to speak of. I did have the bone replaced and some prostetic ear parts put in and 6 months later I had the post put in for the baha 5 which works incredible well. I've had a few major surgeries and this one was by far the easiest. I'm sure you will no problem.

• Posted

I did forget to mention that my surgery took almost five hours there was alot of damage if you have had alot of tinitus like I've had many years you may notice that may be gone after the surgery what a blessing that was. Good luck I'm sure it will go well.

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly with your reply about your experience ... I've read alot of posts about the pain level folks are having during their recovery and some say it's unbearable and some say it's very mild .. I guess it depends on the person. That's my biggest concern because i never really could deal with alot of pain ... LOL ... In my case i am probably going to expect quite a bit because i have mild sleep apnea and the anesthesiologist will definately hold back on the strong pain meds during my waking process in recovery. I just started having gradual hearing loss with my cholesteatoma over the past 3 years and have been dealing with the dreaded nonstop tinitus for the past several months , so yes , it would be a blessing if this surgery gets rid of that like it did yours. I'm also sure that this will probably not be the only surgery i have ... Since the cholesteatoma went as far as erroding the bone away from the ear canal and brain , im sure it took out the other bones also and just as you have had done , they will have to go in at a later date and make more repairs. I will suggest the baha 5 to them if i have a significant hearing loss if my insurance will cover it 100% ... I am on disability and cant afford any out of pocket costs.

How long did it take you to finally recover from everything ? I know you mentioned you had your surgery 4 years ago. Any complications at all ?

• Posted

Recovery time is short and I too am on disability Medicare covers the surgery and the baha 5. They won't cover traditional hearing aids but they do cover this type of surgery. I'm sure if it erouded the bone away your hearing parts are gone also. You may not have noticed the hearing loss because you have another good ear, in my case I have only about 20% hearing in my good ear so it was very noticeable. I also have four herniated discs in my low back and have been on narcotic pain meds for about 30 years so pain to me is constant maybe that would explain why this surgery was no big deal for me. The doctor was a bit surprised when I told her I was ok and no pain meds was needed. If you any other concerns I'm here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.