Swelling

Posted , 7 users are following.

My foot swell when i stand up too long and walk i wonder if its because of amlodipine im taking it for 4months now but i can say the swelling is not severe because when im resting it its gone. Any of you have that i also have anxiety thats why im scared

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

i have just come off amlodopine as I didn't like the side effects. I would suggest that you advise your GP of this so they can record it, I am not sure about the anxiety issue but this could well be part of your reaction to the drug.  There are many other types of blood pressure medication you can take so don't worry.

All the very best and do let your dr know.

• Posted

Hi there . No I didn't suffer from my feet swelling , but severe anxiety and brain fog and severe fatigue. I couldn't think straight lost interest in everything . Now on Rampiril these I discovered as the same as Amlodopine so may that's why I still feel lousy . Don't know if anuone else feels the same :-( 

• Posted

Peripheral oedema (foot/ankle swelling) is a classic symptom of taking amlodipine. Sometimes a diuretic is given to help this, but really the alternative is to go to your GP and switch medication.
    • Posted

RHGB...you're right in what you say, but the swelling caused by the Amlodipine isn't just water accumulation, so it's doubtful a diurtic would do much good.

• Posted

Mike 92384, I agree with you regarding the oedematous legs, ankles and feet as I was already on diuretics to reduce the oedematous in my ankles long before I started talking NG Amlodipine. The Amlodipine made matters much worse and my GP. had already told me that the diuretics would have little or no effect on the drug related swelling. It was just a case of seeing whether or not I could cope with the side effects of my medication, in my case I couldn't because of the additional pain I was getting, hence the change to Adizem recently, and, despite some swelling, so far so good. My advice to anyone would be to talk things through with your GP. if you are worried or have an issue with your medication.

• Posted

Thanks for that. I'll have to look into that, I may swerve the medication for a few days. just to see what effect it has.

• Posted

I did have a lot of swelling and pain in my legs and ankles after 2 weeks of taking Amlodipine as well as being constantly nauseated so had to go back toy GP in order for him to prescribe something else with fewer side effects. I am now on Adizem SR 12g twice a day and although I still have some side effects the swelling of my legs isn't quite as bad as it was, and definitely not as painful as before with me wearing support knee-high stockings. I have only been on the medication for 3 weeks so it is a little too early for me to say that it has been a total success but I will post the information here once I have been taking the new drug for a bit longer.

• Posted

leanJisoo...swelling is a very common side effect of Amlodipine. A few years ago when I was taking 5mg of Amlodipine, I was ok..but needed 10mg (or so the Dr. said). That's when the swelling started. My feet/ankles, & legs up to my knees swelled very badly. Others I know have the swelling with just the 5mg. I too was able to get rid of the swelling when resting, but one can't rest all the time.

I would suggest you get back to your doctor & let him/her know what's going on.

• Posted

Hi! I get the same on my left ankle...well, on both my ankles but more so my left. Its one of the more common sife effects of taking Amlodipine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.