Swelling

Posted , 4 users are following.

5 months post op orif, my doc did say swelling for a year is normal. How swollen are you all? I'm not joking, today my ankle looks like a grapefruit. I confess I haven't been elevating or icing, but I'm not doing much at all. Dropped off one kid at school, picked up another, and this thing is gigantic. I'm walking w/o crutches and a boot, just tennys when I leave house, but it hurts and I still walk funny. Just curious if your swelling is as big as mine? Thanks all.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My swelling is pretty ugly in my opinion. I broke my fibula at the ankle 6/9. My walking is mostly back to normal. I limp a little at the end of the day if it’s been a busy day. I hate how nasty my ankle looks. Easily twice the size of my other one. Doctor said it’ll stay that way at least a few more months. I got brave and wore some ankle boots last weekend and I could barely get that one zipped.
    • Posted

Thanks, I have follow up X-ray next week, hope everything is looking ok in there still. Pain is minimal, but it's definitely gigantic.

• Posted

Hi, are you still elevating when you can (toes above nose) and icing for 20 mins. I’m 7 months in from breaks to fibula and spiral to tibia and still swelling. Now in a boot until 19th Oct after having been in an external fixator for 5 and a half months. My physio says this will go on for a while but once I’m out of the boot and walking it will help. Highly recommend you join a private FB group called “Broken foot/ankle/leg recovery - a quest for normal” you will get sooo much support, tips and suggestions from people all over the world x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.