Swelling

Posted , 7 users are following.

My knee is still swelling 15 months after a full knee replacement . Is this normal?

Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm out 18 months and still have swelling which also causes stiff feeling. Im told this is normal and it usually takes 2 years. Hope it is true!

• Posted

Hi Sylvie,

Well, I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but I had mine done in August 2016 and it still swells and gets hot. I think that it will always happen, in my case certainly.

Its not really huge or anything , but it always looks bigger than the other knee and more swollen. Ive learnt to live with it now. Hope you can too.

• Posted

Mine too except its been over two years. Turns out mine has failed and will have to be redone. i just can't wait to go through all the time, money, pain and mental anguish again.

• Posted

Paula....i just had a replacement after 10 months. I am now at 11 weeks. I actually had less pain with the replacement and am much further ahead than the last surgery. i had a different surgeon for the replacement. he told me its a slower process and not to push the knee. I was in the hospital 6 days and wore a brace for 3 weeks after surgery. Replacements are a 2 year healing time. good luck

• Posted

Good to know. Im having a revision in April... two years this coming Jan.

• Posted

Im having a revision done also, in April. This jan. will be 2 years. Not one day has gone by that I have not had pain, swelling, stiffness, etc. Yeah, NOT looking forward to surgery and the mental anguish again, but, Im hopeful that this one will be the one that works. And, a different surgeon this time too.

• Posted

Paula...i looked forward to the revision surgery. I was excited to get a solution to a 10 month problem. i had a knee cap on the side, couldnt do leg raises and had to swing my leg out to walk. I had less pain, used fewer drugs and did my own rehab. I was surprised at how much easier it was. i also had just gone through it so I knew all my coping strategies. Dont stress about it in advance. GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Hi Martha-

Yes, its gotten so bad I am kind of looking forward to it. Having some testing done on the 27th to figure out exactly what has failed. This knee has never been right and I knew it almost immediately.Different surgeon for sure. I wouldn't let the first one touch it again on a bet.

I have also had pain and swelling constantly since the replacement in November 2017. What really gets me is I know so many people that have had replacements and do great. I have to wonder if its me or the surgeon. I hope your revision goes well and you have a better result!

• Posted

It just takes time. First, don't compare yourself to anyone else. Second, there is no "normal" for any given person. As applied to the universe of TKR patients, swelling gradually subsides over the 6-18 month period. It also depends upon whether you push the knee beyond what it is capable of on any given day. Miles and time walking are irrelevant; it's the STEPS that put the load on the knee. Get a pedometer; the software will chart your progress and make you aware of your current limit if the knee swells. No pounding (running) or twisting the knee...ever...if you want it to last 25 years. Example: Nurses doing 12-hour shifts are in big trouble if they go back to work before the knee is fully healed and they have done the muscle rebuild (which takes the pressure off the knee and puts it back on the muscles where it belongs).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.