Swelling 8 weeks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was wondering how long it takes for the swelling to start going away.  I am 8 weeks post op TKR.  Before I went to therapy the other day it was swollen, then after the session the swelling was a little better. But the next day it was really swollen again.  Ice and elevation didnt help much.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Comes and goes in my case.

This morning it is really good (minimum swelling), just going to do my exercises now, so I expect it will swell after this.

Also if I walk any distance it swells

I am only 5 weeks PO.

Alan

• Posted

Going to do mine now too. We will see how the swelling is after this. I also have therapy this afternoon.
  • Posted

Hi Suzanne swelling can go on much longer for some of us I still have a fair bit and I'm 16 weeks post op, one day it will be fine then another day seems to balloon up again, hope yours reduces soon
    • Posted

It is frustrating, I am going back to work (hopefully next week) and am a little scared with the swelling. I can sit, stand, walk around and put my knee up during the day, which is perfect. Going to go exercise now. Thank you
  • Posted

Hi Suzanne!

I had LOTS of swelling with Knee #1 and almost none with Knee #2. Both experiences were VERY different even though they were done just four months apart by the same surgeon at the same hospital.

My worst knee had the least swelling! Go figure!

Something to try is laying on your bed facing the wall or headboard and literally putting your leg up the wall or against the headboard. ( Use a looped belt to help it GET there!) My son does this regularly after his long runs. He is a distance runner. Elevating in this manner produces instant relief from that heavy feeling and allows gravity to do the work instead of your traumatized veins.

This can be done by laying on the floor (his method) and putting your legs up a wall. He helped me modify it because getting down on the floor and up again isn't very easy following this surgery!

I hope this helps!😃

• Posted

I am going to try this now. Thank you for the advice. It has been frustrating lately but I am getting there. If it wasn't for the swelling, I think I would be doing alot better. No pain meds and just aleve now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.