Swelling above the knee with tight band feeling

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 54,  post op 9 1/2 weeks.  I have realized the last weeks that you have a lot of ups and downs through this process of healing. The biggest thing to have is a lot of patience!   It's a roller coaster ride up and down, good and bad days. There will b a lot of bad days.

I have set backs which have taught me that you have to do a little and then rest if you don't you will suffer. 

I find when I stand and walk my knee swells above and feels tight  Anyone else go through this?

Slow process but I do NOT have the excruciating pain I had before surgery, just the healing pain which is pretty good other then the swelling above my knee.

My range is now 130. Doing physio daily 

I found out today that the more physio you do faithfully, the better swelling will b and u will get stronger. 

Love this forum been very helpful!  

Keep strong everyone??

Sent from my iPad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you ever asked your doctor or physical therapist about it? And what do they say? I have the same thing going on.
  • Posted

Wow 130 is impressive ! I am starting my 6th week today and the tight band above the knee is my constant companion. It eases off after I do my stationary bike work though so must be muscular ? I also get a terrible tightness on the outside of the knee almost locks and I massage it and it straightens again. Physio said that is definitely muscular so work will hopefully ease it. Poor old body has to work to get through this smile My mind is not always compliant lol.

• Posted

"Victory is mine!" - Stewie Griffin, Family Guy 

• Posted

Humor?  Moi?

- Johnny from Brooklyn, aka Louie the Wrench, Frankie Five Fingers and some others on whom I hope all the warrants have long since expired...

• Posted

I am into my 6th month of a tkr still have a tight band across my knee plus pain everyday all day . Pt tells me it will improve but i am starting to have doubts. I am 58 work full time was very active before op but now just get tired sorry to sound negitive i do hope you improve soon
    • Posted

you too.. 6 month here and  pain everyday ..worried something is really wrong  but can not say what it is? Blood Clot? Bakers cyst?  Nornal pain limping to much.  no relief from pain.  Crazy stuff.  Never would I do it again! Sorry not worth it for me.  I am very active but its a struggle just to go grocery shopping.  What happened to pain free?  That was the whole purpose.  Maybe 6 months is not long enough but many others have said it is & have moved on to the SECOND TKR!  OMG  Just taking it one day at a time right now hoping for a break.  Sorry for being so negative  tired & Frustrated today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.