Swelling after ankle surgery

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hello,

I had ankle surgery and my cast was taken off over a month a go.

I can stand on my 2 legs but can't walk.

Every time I exercise with crutches or stand to cook my foot swells and goes purple.  Does anybody know how long the swelling will last for?

I was cryptically told by a nurse that the last thing to go is the swelling.

Any ideas?

I am really fed up and frustrated.  It is all taking so long and progress is so slow.  The whole business has made me depressed and negative.

Molly

2 likes, 318 replies

318 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just coming into this forum makes me feel so much better.

It's been almost one month since my fall, breaking both tibia and fibula.

The discomfort and dred of trying to sleep can be overwhelming but I think I've crossed over into acceptance.

My attitude is always better after reading the challenges people face in here, with a positive outlook.

Yesterday started out with my undies getting stuck between my walker and a doorknob and shooting across the room like a sling shot, but today I was able to wheel around the kitchen and prepare the Pioneer Woman beef stew crock pot dish.

I haven't conquered my dry mouth yet. Anyone else have that?

Wishing you all a good day of healing. 💖

• Posted

Ok that undie-door knob-slingshot thing made my day! Now that's something you can remember on a bad day and have a good laugh!

I've found that at the end of the day I need to look for the positives even if it's something silly.

Good job on making us laugh 😂

• Posted

After they flew across the room I sat down and laughed so hard. I told my hubby what happened and he started laughing. It definitely changed the mood of the day.

Happy to share the funny stuff. 😀

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Maybe the painkillers you take giving you dry mouth.

Drinking more water than usual and eating fruits might make

a difference.  

Sleeping with an aching and sensitive ankle is tough.

I couldn't put my foot under the duvet as it hurt so much.

But in a few weeks it will be better.

Recovering from an ankle op is a challenge, progress is slow,

wrecks our nerves but eventually there is light at the end of 

the tunnel.  

Molly

• Posted

I so appreciate the encouragement. I believe you're right about the dry mouth/meds combo. I saw my dr. yesterday. He took out my 50 staples then sent me for a new cast.

The tech who put my cast on kept trying to force my foot into a position that would be in my best interest to give me the best positioning when it comes off in three weeks. NWB till then.

It was so incredibly painful. He had no bedside manner.

I appreciate him doing a good job but his chastising manner did not sit well.

Last night I was in terrible pain. Took full strength Norco instead of breaking in half. Husband gave me a small glass of wine and I went to bed. Woke up with dry mouth. Water! 😀😀😀

This morning the leg is also throbbing but I'm going to try and move around a bit or distract myself with crafts. Ice packs behind the knee are also helpful.

Wishing you and everyone here a beautiful new day.

Karen.

• Posted

Dear Molly

I had a swelling issue at the start and asked for one of those stretchy stocking things and found it helped quite a lot. I used if for several weeks.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Richard,

I have a STRETCHY STOCKING and definitely helps.  Thanks.

Molly

• Posted

Hello Molly

Have you heard of the RICE METHOD

R: Rest

I: Ice

C: Compression

E: Elevation

You need to effectively remove all the GUNK that starts to accumulate around the joint as this impedes healing

How to Use the RICE Method?

Take Rest: The proper RICE method begins with adequate rest, which is the most crucial part of the process.

Apply Ice Packs: An ice pack with Velcro edges, buy on line, wrap around the foot and ankle to reduce pain and swelling for twenty minutes at a time, followed by periods of twenty minutes without ice.

Compression Stockings: Compression stockings are for when standing even on crutches or walking frame - weight Lennon weight bearing

Elevate the Area: elevate your foot when you arenIN or OUT of the boot. Raising your foot above the hip level will facilitate better blood flow while reducing pressure and pain.

I wore a boot 24/7 for theee months and always slept with leg elevated

And most of all have PATIENCE

The more you RICE, the sooner you will recover from the awful swelling process

Mine took around 6-9 months in all

Good luck

• Posted

I'm 7 weeks post tib/fib surgery. Cast came off and I now have a boot.

Problem... when the cast came off, my foot felt like a rock. Literally. So stiff. It made me queasy and I almost passed out in front of doc.

Boot is on and I wanted to take a long bubble bath last night but I'm scared I'll pass out if I take off boot.

I'm such a baby!

Anyone else freak out when they first have ZERO range of motion?

Thanks,

Karen

• Posted

Karen,

When the cast came off, my foot felt like a compressed block and was awfully sensitive. Also looked deformed and the colour was/ still is different. They wanted me to start putting weight on it but couldn't bear the pain.  I did it slowly and stopped when it was painful.

Now after 3 months and a half I can walk fine with 2 crutches, can walk with 1 or wobble without any but still long way to go before I can call it walking...

It is a trying experience and no matter how optimistic you are, it is bound to affect our mood.  Give yourself a bit of time and you will feel the difference.

Molly

• Posted

Thank you for the reminder of time. I need to cut myself some slack. I'm only 7 weeks post op and from what many here have written, I'm pretty on track.

I'm looking forward to the 3-4 month mark. Seems to be a real milestone.

Good news! I stopped being a chicken and got myself into a hot bath. Oh wow! Heaven! (Might have been the small glass of wine I enjoyed while bathing.)

I was able to stretch and get a little ROM in my ankle.

Today I got out to visit my daughter's new home. Just being out and about with people you love can be such good medicine.

Today was a really good day and I am so grateful for really good days. 😀😀😀

You seem to be doing so much better and making great strides. Congrats!

Here's to good days and also getting through the rough spots.

👍🍷😀

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I think you are doing really well. When I was on my 7th weeks, I ingured foot was only prending to be one of my limbs. It didn't have much positive function, but trouble - it hurts. But I can see it making progress everyday. I took photo of it. It was very pleasing that the appearance of the two feet getting closer each day.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Helen

• Posted

Karen,

I can't remember appreciating as much having a bath as after having get rid off the cast!  As you say, it is like heaven on earth :-)

I think I am better but all is still a big effort!

I am becoming really grumpy woman!

So glad you are feeling better and having a good time.

My daughter is over for a visit so, I am happy too.

Got a text from my son.  He is in the Amazon with

girl friend.  

Can't find all these pretty pics you add to send you too...

Enjoy your glass of wine and a good night's sleep!

Molly

• Posted

Dear Molly

It is all so very frustration. I wish the surgeon had been mor open or realistic as to how long the recovery was likely to be. Perhaps he was afraid he would be out of a job if he told it as it was!

All the best

Richard

• Posted

Richard,

Docs avoid to tell us it will take so long probably because

they fear our reaction.  Maybe not knowing is better than

knowing sometimes...

Molly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.