Swelling after hip replacement

Posted , 32 users are following.

im 10 days after surgery and my leg from knee to hip is swollen and I'm worried can anyone help please in aged 65

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sue

As the other hippies have said swelling is normal and its still very early days for you post op.  Im the same age as you and I had 2 THRs last year. The right is just over a year old and the swelling has completely gone but the left which was done 4 months ago still has a slight amount of swelling and Im fully mobile and feeling great.  Also as Maggie said it can take up to a year for it to go completely - as with everything, we are all different.

So dont worry your body will slowly recover at its own pace.

Linnet x 😀

• Posted

thank you so much Linnet I'm so pleased I Joined the forum as was getting a bit frightened.  All my worries are being answered by such lovely people xxxx
  • Posted

Hi sue, from one sue to another dont panic as lyn said if its hot worry, mine swelled upmover night, and thanks to this wonderful family I stopped panicing and understood it was normal.  Promise it goes down, slower than it comes up, but all of a sudden you notice it. 

One of the many joys of hip replacement surgery. 

Suexx

• Posted

Hi Sue

i had exactly the same problem in the early days after my op and went to my GP who sent me off immediately for an ultra sound scan just to be sure it wasn't a blood clot causing the problem. Fortunately it wasn't and the swelling went down after about 10 days or so. 

My advice to you is not to leave it but to go and get it checked for you own peace of mind if nothing else

• Posted

im seeing district nurse on Wednesday will have a word with her.  Thanks
    • Posted

When my leg swelled up I went to GP immediately and without delay referred me for tests. He told me I did the right thing to come straight away. Swelling is common after THR but it's always best to get it checked sooner rather than later.
  • Posted

I had a swollen foot after the op but 2 weeks later at night I started with excruciating pain in the upper part of my leg. This has resulted in me not being able to lift it without help and this is still painful.i have rung the ward today and they are going to have a word with the doctor and ring me back.

• Posted

Hi Sue, 4 weeks on my thigh is still bruised and swollen and painful at times. I'm not worried had THR in 2007 and that was the same. I know it's hell to go through but truly worth it in the end. However if you are really worried check it out with Physio or surgeon, just to put your mind at rest. 
    • Posted

thank you I'm feeling so much better from all the comments
  • Posted

Hi Sue, 

I am wondering if your leg is still swollen or suddenly swelled up ...

After my 1st THR surgery (right ) my leg was swollen for a couple of weeks - It started at hip/thigh and went down to ankles where it stayed for 7 days - 

No swelling after 2nd one - Maybe because I asked surgeon while on operation table to "handle me with care" this time -

As already mentioned here: when it worries you, go and see your doctor -

Keep it elevated, darling - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you renee, it was a complicated exchange as the first hip implant fractured my femur and so the surgeon (not the first one thankfully) had to start again pluse mend the fracture.  Hence I now think from all the contents why it is swollen.  When you say elevated do you mean on a pillow?  Thank you for your concerns xx
  • Posted

My leg was a little swollen - mostly around the knee. But not painful. I took Arnica 30 for about 3 weeks before the operation until 3 weeks after. I had very little bruising. Arnica is readily available from most pharmacies. 
  • Posted

I had a lot of swelling for the first three weeks mostly in the affected hip but also the other. I would lie down for an hour a few times a day with my leg on two pillows. I also increased my water intake at 3 weeks as I read that it would hydrate and nurture the soft tissue and the swelling basically disappeared within a couple of days. Hope you are feeling better. Hip replacement is a very tough thing to go through. I never imagined it would be so hard. The first two weeks were pretty bad and then things began to get easier. I measure things in 3 week increments. Every few weeks I am feeling better and moving better than previously. And everyone heals at a different pace. I felt like something went wrong as I read how many people are moving around so freely and so early after THR. Keep your eyes on the goal and that is to walk pain free and enjoy life again. Best wishes to you for a smooth recovery.
  • Posted

Hi new at this when I go to bed my op leg from knee to toe is swollen huby put ice bag on it in the morning back to nom get up wash /breakfast/a little walk it is swollen again I am into my 6th day  of my third week ...hi still have to do my x siz . Ido not no if I am doing right

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.