Swelling after hip replacement

Posted , 32 users are following.

im 10 days after surgery and my leg from knee to hip is swollen and I'm worried can anyone help please in aged 65

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well I’m 11 days today and mine has just done the same thing so hope it’s normal then
  • Posted

If the same operation my leg is quite swollen.  It started swelling about the fourth day after the operation. Yesterday my foot I was also swollen my calf was to which is larger than my other calf and my five was about 2 inches larger than the other side. Now I have problem sitting down because it hurts my butt so much. I also had Swelling above my right buttock. It felt like an airbag. I got that down with ice treatment. And I also have gotten the swelling in my leg to go down with ice. The swelling in my foot went away the following day.
    • Posted

I had plenty of swelling.

This site was of some help but I felt the need to just give an account of my recovery.  I realize many have health problems that go beyond my routine. I hope this helps with the days ahead. This will be my last entry.

Daily  Chronologue:

I am 80 years old and have had 3 stents installed-no heart attack.  My only other hospital problem has been getting a new shoulder-good health otherwise.  I am doing everything I have been told to do.

Posterior procedure.   

I am using coumadin for blood clots. They take my blood twice a week to monitor the level.  Since coumadin I have only taken 3 BP pills out of a possible twenty. MY BP apparently has been driven down by the coumadin.

Have not used pain meds yet

Day 1 & 2: in hospital 

In the following days cited. I have not taken any pain meds yet 

Day 3: Getting home no problem-just followed instructions-now that the hip was done tryng to understand how to organize the house needed changes. Which chair? How many pillows? What to use to get up out of chair? Where to sleep? These would all change as the days went by. I found out what better or worse means. My wife, always my hero, was awesome.

I did the basic therapy for the day and I felt fine. I am walking fine.

That night we got me into our bed which we thought would work well because it is like a hospital bed. The head and foot can be adjusted. No good. (I simply could not use the leg wedge provided in the hospital. It did not work in the hospital as I wound up in the chair every night.) So we decided to use the couch which would keep me on my back. We put some barriers next to the couch.  I slept for three hours and had to get up. Yes, she was there to help.  Anyway it was somewhat of a fitful night.

Day 4:Thanksgiving-The therapist showed up and we went through some extra exercises. I again felt fine.

Sleeping was about the same. I was sleeping during the day sitting up. I used an airplane pillow. I am still feeling only discomfort-not pain. Eating normal. No problem walking.

Day 5: My leg is swelled-the hip and calf about 11/2 /  2 inches larger. We were concerned because no where were we told to expect swelling. So we called the VNA visiting nurse association.A nurse was dispatched. We began icing and raising the leg.. In the meantime I looked on line and found this site which affirmed that some people had swelling-it was a relief. The nurse affirmed it was onl swelling and not a blood clot. Sleeping improved but still somewhat fitful

Day 6: Therapist shows up and we do some exercises and he also affirms swelling is just trauma.

Sleeping still fitful.Walking good. Struggling with swelling.

Day 7: Sunday       Walking well. Icing leg a lot-keeping elevated as much as possible. Doing exercises.

Struggling with swelling.

Day 8: Therapist showed and we do our workout-helpful with ideas and knowledgeable about other folks problems. Struggling with swelling. Sleeping a little better but still getting up a few times at night. Sleeping during the day a lot.

Nurse took blood.

Day 9: Therapist showed. Walking getting better-went outside for a walk. Still no real pain just limping along.

While I still got up two times I slept much better-a good 8 hours.  Still struggling with swelling but I am winning. This morn I was able to jog my leg off the couch while sitting up.

I have decided to do this chronologue because It might help. I will be glad to answer specific questions. I will do a complete update every few days.

Doctor office called and doubled my coumadin dose.

Day 10:  Still not taking any pain meds or other OTC stuff.  Therapist showed.  Total walking inside and outside for day about ½ hour.  Still struggling with swelling and winning but I am forgetting about the swelling at the top of the hip above my butt. I have to ice that once a week. It seems.  While I feel more power in my leg I still can only lift it about 15-20 degrees above the floor while sitting. I was quite tired at the end of the day. 

Day 11.  Sleep was not great.  Started the day dong ankle pumps, knee presses and hip squeezes before getting up.  I also iced the calf and hip area before rising.  No therapist today. I did exercises and then walked our circle outside my house.  I skipped the BP pillls again because my numbers were in line. Later in the day I did the exercises again and also walked the circle two more times.  Total walking for the day about 25 mins.  

It appears that I now have a very sore op side butt. When I sit it hurts. I get up a lot and put a pillow on the side that does not hurt to ease the pressure.  I am lying down now when icing. It is easier on my buttock. 

At this point I cannot imagine I will have to use pain meds. But I have not eliminated the possibility.  

Doctor called and increased my intake of coumadin again. He wants my blood to show a certain level.

Day 12:  Slept well-only got up once. Did icing and exercises before rising. Completed standup exercises. Went for a walk on our circle. Later walked again on circle.  Then still later did icing lying down and exercises. Again completed standup exercises. Later took a walk on circle.  I wanted to go again but decided to wait another day. Did more icing lying down.  Practiced quite a bit walking around house with cane staying close to things I could grab with free hand.  Did icing and exercises before going to sleep.

Day 13: Sunday.  Slept well-up twice.  Still sleeping only on back-not easy.  Very similar to Day 11.  My op butt is not hurting today. I am still getting up often. Swelling there but not bad. Therapist put me through exercises. 

Day 14: Slept well on back-up once.  Similar to Day 13. No therapist.

Day 15: Slept on back-ok not great.  Icing and exercises before rising. Able to get out of bed by maneuvering my op foot.  Therapist put me though entire exercises and added another where I move my op foot to the rear while standing. Marching exercise is getting better with a higher step. Walked circle 4x. And leg did not feel very much discomfort. Butt is not hurting very much.  Practiced walking with cane and also on my own for short distances.  Kept up icing and did the final icing while laying down ready to sleep.

Day 16: Slept on back-sleep ok Visited Doctor -xrays look good. Stopped iron and vit C pills.  Coumadin untill next Tuesday.

Similar day as before.  But seeing a vast improvement in leg mobility. I can get leg into and out of bed without much effort. Swelling still there but getting more under control. Still practicing with a cane. I am also walking, albeit with a gimp, without anything, but only short distances and again able to grab on if necessary.   Have to be very careful turning.  Getting up and down on chair without any extra effort. Legs showing strength.

Day 17: Tried to sleep with pillow on non op side-fuhgeddaboudit. Still cannot sleep on op side because it feels bulky and uncomfortable-no pain. Any ideas on sleeping would be welcome.

I walk around the house without a cane or walker. I am doing 4 or 5 trips around our circle using only a cane. I need someone with me because I have a tendency to lean left at certain times, My op is on the right leg. I no longer have a bandage and can shower with no problem. Iam just supposed tolet water run over the wound. The wound was glued so there are no stitches or staples.

Day 18: Still sleeping on back. Still icing for swelling. Walking without aid around house with a shuffle and a gimp.. Day  similar to Day 17.  Went to a restaurant for my 80th B’day. I start outpatient therapy on Monday.  The idea is to strengthen  and stabilize my leg. I will go 3x per week-perhaps for 4 weeks. As long as my insurance pays for it no problem. Nevertheless I may go less because of Christmas and New Year. Life goes on.

Day 19: Still sleeping on back. Swelling has reduced a lot-foot swelling the most.  Walked outside with cane but did not need it-using it as a precaution. I can now get up and down with a lot less effort. I still feel stiffness around my knee and calf. My blood pressure which had been lowered by using Coumadin for blood clots has gone back up again and I am using BP meds again based on BP readings

Day 20:Same as 19 only BP went down again

Day 21: Sunday Same as  20 Trying to sleep in bed. Had to get up during night and go back to couch. I am going to start each night in bed.

Day 22:Same as 21 but now going to the mall and walking a mile with 3 rest stops-have cane but not using.  Exercises have expanded to include strengthening.   

Day 23: same as 22 but iy looks like my swelling is mostly in the foot and only slight in calf and thigh. Stiff feeling remains in calf. Last day for coumadin. 2 stops on Mall walk-no cane.

Day 24: I slept the whole night in bed and slept on op side, back and non op side with pillow. Hopefully this will continue. Still some swelling.  I am going to ease up on exercises and space them out more.  I can feel the effect on my leg muscles. I monitor my BP every day about 5x. 1 stop on mall walk-not using cane.

Day 25: Same as Day 24.

Day 26: Same as Day 25.

Day 27: Caught a cold so had to limit activities.  Swelling minimal.  Sleeping in bed but awake at times. BP still not back to my normal-not taking pills consistently. Calf still stiff.

Day 28: Slept through the night sleeping on back, and both hips.  Slight discomfort on op side and doing ok with pillow on non op side. Calf still slightly stiff with foot still swelling. BP inconsistent. Still have cold but better-back to exercises but not walking a lot.The walking I do is near normal.

Good luck> 

• Posted

hi sue i have just had a hip replacement and my feet have swollen.as soon i lay down they reduce and once i start walking they swell so i think it is part of the recovery.hope that helps
  • Posted

I am 16 days post op RTHR - anterior. I have SO MUCH tightness in the hip flexor and incision site area - also on the lateral side of my glute. I am able to walk with one crutch- can do light walking without crutches, but the tightness is so alarming to me. This site has helped to some degree to calm my “freaking out “ thoughts. I am also experiencing severe IT band tightness and pain on the lateral side of my leg/knee.   Anyone out there experiencing that or have insight? So many people I have spoken to who had THR say they didn’t have hardly any pain or swelling????
    • Posted

Hi Lovestheoutdoors, I’m 9 wks post op and still have swelling from top of thigh to knee. Mostly to the side of incision and below. My first THR a year ago was so much easier and swelling went away slowly by the 8th week. This time not even ice will bring all of the swelling down. It goes down some but then I’m walking or stretching and swelling increases again. I sure hope it goes away soon. It’s hard to move my leg for stretching. 
    • Posted

Hi I am also 9 weeks post op , I had 2 dislocations in hospital and 3 weeks ago had my wound opened up again to clean infection as it wouldn't heal,  had stitches removed a week ago and have swelling now around the wound and top of leg. I have a problem walking it's so stiff this week, I'm 54 and trying desperately to remain positive that I am going to get through this.

• Posted

Hi, Sue--

I also had a great deal of swelling despite keeping my leg and hip iced. (I measured my swollen thigh and it was 6" bigger around than my other.)  This seemed to be a result of fluid accumulation rather as well as inflammation.

Stretchy yoga tights (night and day) as well as compression socks to reduce ankle and lower calf swelling greatly improved my comfort.  The swelling has gradually diminished over time, but at 8 weeks after surgery, it continues to some degree as I am still not getting enough exercise.  

Good luck in dealing with this--I found it both worrying and very uncomfortable.

Leonora

• Posted

Footless yoga leggings--very stretchy--helped me a lot.  Needed help getting them on my surgical leg, though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.