Swelling after one year PKR

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi ! I wrote recently about the swelling knee at the one year marker. It has gone down . But now it's swelled again. Now I'm thinking should I be exercising it like I did at the beginning? I just am at a loss as to should I rest , ice, elevate, or walk and stretch etc. maybe I'm not doing the correct exercises and that's why the swelling?

Would appreciate any advice or similar situations?

Thank you

Debbie

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Doc told me that MINOR swelling could be possible in the 12-18 months range.  Not common but possible.  What did you do to stress the knee?  One time or is this continuous?  Are you pushing it too much...walking too many steps?  What's different now than before when it wasn't swelling?

• Posted

Hi Chico

I don't know maybe more activity. So frustrating. But then I am thinking should I still be doing specific exercises. should I do more quad strengthening . I need to pay more attention to my activities and such . This swelling puts me right back to before surgery . Do you do specific exercises to be certain you don't fall back ? Am I making sense ?

• Posted

Oh yes!!!!  If your muscles aren't strong again, the full functioning of your leg goes right to the joint instead of the muscles.  For walking or going about your day, get a pedometer (Fit Bit, Smart Watch, etc.) to track your steps.  Find the number of steps it takes to bring on the swelling...back off and increase gradually.  Track your progress.

For strengthening, here's the plan...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Gotta work quads, glutes and core while stretching the hamstrings.  This takes a while but has to be done.

• Posted

Ok this is good . I know you've posted it many times before but I just glanced through it because I was doing good ! Well I think that I haven't been doing the Right exercises. I was also reminded that I have slacked off on the water . I will make strong effort to change and get on the right program. I need to read through few times there a lot of info .

Thanks very much !

Debbie

• Posted

People forget that this is a lifelong change.  Once you get your strength back, you have to keep it.  It's not going to be easy for any of us.  Exercise, hydration, eating healthy foods...it's a real lifestyle change and it's all within out capacity to take it or leave it.  Everyone makes their own choice and lies down in that bed.  Make the choice a good one...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.