Swelling after orif surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone I had my orif surgery July 3rd I’ve had a plate and 7 Screws and in the other side of my ankle 1 big screw has my joint pain as out of place, I had a cast for 6 weeks then a boot and was told I could weight bare straight away 😬 which I could not do.... I did not get on with my boot so left it off which physio said was fine 👍 I’m now weight bearing which is very painful and I’m walking with no crutches but with a limp the swelling is unbelievable after 30 mins. Does anyone have any advice when swelling dies down when walking and when my limp will go please thank you 😊 well 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I’m a little further on than you broke my ankle end of May in 3 places - 10 screws and plate one side 2 screws the other. I’m now walking short distances no crutches long distances with one crutch, still off work. Managing the pain now with comfrey cream and arctic blast ( so fed up with taking painkillers especially opiates , so I stopped and tried the aforementioned) still sore . I still limp, swelling under control most of times, I raise and rest my leg at every opportunity- it’s a long recovery process and my consultation said , 3 months for bones to heal, 6 months til you feel better, 12 months before you are back to where you were prior to injury, so be kind to yourself - 

• Posted

Hi,

I'm glad you posted this.

13th May Fractured left ankle badly, fractured a further 3 bones in same foot, all with metal work in surgery 22nd may, 78 days in cast...fractured 5th metatarsal in right foot, but not worried about that.

I've been weight bearing since July 30th, an feel I'm progress well, like yourself i walk short distance without crutches, never use at home, and use crutches for walks, I still swell with some pain (elevate an ice when I can)

This cream to refer to, what sort of properties does it contain as a pain control, interesting.

• Posted

Some traditional healers have also used it to treat diarrhea and other stomach ailments. The roots of leaves of the comfrey plant contain chemical substances called allantoin and rosmarinic acid. Allantoin boosts the growth of new skin cells, while rosmarinic acid helps relieve pain and inflammation.

So says the internet 

Arctic blast 

Arctic Blast is a natural solution that works so good in which it has been guaranteed to be five times better than any pain reliever. This solution ends your pain and guarantees that you can be free from side effects. This product was all natural and cheap that assist in eliminating pain from your entire body. It uses DMSO that works efficiently as a pain relief secret also it reduces swelling within minutes. The DMSO and other nutrients in ArcticBlast proven to work in clinical studies with the highest level of proof. DMSO is not like any fad or hype in which it is FDA approved for a specific type of pain relief. DMSO’s unique molecular structure that penetrates merely all your skin layers and tissues. 

Between the two of them my pain is manageable and I’m opiate free thankfully 

• Posted

Hi,

Firstly you're making good progress.

There's no easy way through this final phase, swelling and pain will be present for weeks / months to some degree, elevate and ice, I'm at a similar stage as yourself.

My physio has me following this to walk without or slight limp.....try it an see.

Stand tall, head up, chest out, bum cheeks clinched (very important to control posture) and walk.

I myself find it very exhausting to control this posture for any distance, but it does work.

Hope it helps, your not alone.

• Posted

Hello there! I had ORIF surgery for a tri-malleolar  with dislocation on June 11th and I’m now walking in my boot without crutches and without a limp. I was given permission to weightbare as able in mid August, but my doctor advised it would likely take me until the end of August. It did! I was finally able to walk short distances without crutches on August 27th and now two weeks later, I can all my walking without crutches but still in a boot. Hopefully next week I’ll shift out of the boot and keep moving forward. 

All that is to say: I had awful swelling until week 11. My PT recommended a compression sock during the day, which has helped a lot. Icing and elevating also makes a difference and rubbing my ankle/foot nightly with vitamin E and cocoa butter. 

So: you’re doing great to be walking without a boot and crutches this quickly. The swelling is going to hang around for a while. My limp went away when I worked with my PT, who had me doing exercises to strengthen muscles and working on my hips and alignment.

Remember to ice and elevate as much as possible, try to get some mild/moderate compression socks, and be patient with yourself! Like someone here said: there’s no easy way through this part. Just patience and continuing to work through it. 

• Posted

Hi had exactly same as you and struggled on with 2 years of severe pain not able to walk to far without a rest and taking constant pain relief, then this last few weeks a break through went on hols in August and walked Miles and suddenly realised pain free , what a breakthrough I have my life back and hoping this continues, hope it does not take you two years to get there
  • Posted

Hi 2 years on and just realised I’m pain free at long last can keep up with others and don’t constantly think mind my leg it’s been a long journey but six months ago I thought I would have to settle fot constant pain so I’m elated that I’m finally pain free hope others don’t take so long to get there 

• Posted

**I, too appear to be having chronic pain following ORIF surgery in September 2020. I've been assured the Xrays look fine. I have also got osteopenia and slight oesteoarthritis. Prior to my accident I was running 5 K now if I walk 5-6 K I suffer swelling and inflammation. I just got in touch with my doctor requested cortisone injections, but she says they don't normally do that for ankles. I had a plate with six screws and a screw in the inside of the ankle. I'm relieved I'm not the only one who is taking a long time to recover. I'm 57 perhaps that's also a reason for the slow recovery. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.