Swelling after removal of Submanbular gland

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I would appreciate for a bit of advise on the swelling I am having after my Submanbular gland has been removed?

I was operated on 8 days ago but every time I eat or drink I have my face swell up and it is very hard.  Is this normal if so how long will it take to go back to normal?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry you are having a bad time at the moment, but having read articles about the removal of these glands 8 days for recovery  seems too short a time for their to be dramatic improvement.  I do hope things will settle down eventually.  Wouldn't have bellieved these glands could be so complex until I had trouble myself.

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying so quickly did you have yours removed I ok with the wound itself but it's the hardness of under chin/neck it is rock solid and belongs I do not eat or drink it's fine.  Did this happen to you
    • Posted

.Hi Dusty  -  I haven't had my problem gland operated on up to now.  I go for an assessment in a few days time.  I think your consultant should have a word with you to reassure you things are progressing normally. I understand it is some time for the after effects of the operation to heal.

I hope you will soon feel much improved.

• Posted

Hi Roxy I am still struggling big time and it 16 days now I am fine if I do not eat or drink but soon as I do it is rock solid and take about 1.5 hours to go down.  I take pain relief before I go to bed which helps but by 2.30 to 3am I am awake in pain.

I did ring maxifacial dept up on Thursday and spoke to the on call doctor and they have made a appointment to see my consultant on Monday I cannot wait.  Will let you know the outcome

• Posted

Hi Roxy how did you get on ?  I am struggling still.  I saw consultant again last Monday but he thought it could be a bit of gland that was not removed.  He said it will naturally die because no saliva will get in but it is getting worse with feeling very hard when I eat and drink he is going to see me again in 4 weeks time so praying it will subside soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.