Swelling after surgery, how long does it last?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all, I had a bunionectomy 11/10/17 no screws.  According to the X-rays  bone is healed.  I also had a bone spur shaved off in the top of my foot.  Last Tuesday my dr wanted me to get my foot in a shoe, I told him he was crazy.  He said ok first thing in the am try it, and by Last Friday I should have a shoe on (4 weeks post op) and he wants me walking in to my next appointment this Tuesday in shoes.  I think he is absolutely nuts! My foot is so swollen the only thing I can get on is a slipper!  I have been in a boot since surgery, started putting pressure on it at 3 weeks.  My back is killing me because I don’t have a shoe that is the same height as the boot.  I have tried 2 different tennis shoes and crocs and my foot will not fit! Just to get some relief I am wearing slippers!  I’m getting so stir crazy, I work 3 Jobs and this is killing me.  For me I have never felt more excruciating pain then this.  I would go through child birth 100x and have a gall bladder attack before I would ever have my other foot done.  I think being alone with no help + 4 large dogs and a human son (12) that wasn’t much help didn’t help.  I just want to  get a shoe on and walk already.  Patience’s is not a strong suit of mine! Any idea how much longer I will be laid up? I’m 4 weeks 2 days post op.  Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

I had surgery Oct. 6, Last week I was given the ok to wear shoes. My doctor said and I have read it also swelling would can't for up to a year. I went out and purchase a pair of soft cloth shoe in a size bigger. My doctor said no leather due to swelling. I take a 7 and purchase a 8 slip on. This will be a few weeks. I also was referred to PT so this will help. It's been very painful, and hard. I work out three days a week and have not for 8 weeks, just getting back into it slowly. I hope that helps. My left foot will not be done. To pain full.

• Posted

I’m not sure Rebecca I’m only on day 6 of right foot bunion correction surgery.  It’s been worse than expected. I got some serious numbness and foot swelling.   No walking for 7 more weeks. Had terrible sickness with anesthesia and pain pills are the devil.  Mostly on couch with foot elevated.  
  • Posted

Kinda curious with that many to care for are you able to rest?!

Ice, elevate, take your otc pain meds like ibuprofen for swelling.

I found limiting salty foods and soda helped keep the swelling down.

Pinapple fresh as an enzyme that helps with inflammation.

Drink more water and really elevate...above heart.

Hope you feel better soon!

I had surgery Nov 9. Metatarsal fusion bunectomy with plate and 5 screws just started walking this past week.

• Posted

Oh and the pain was horrible in the first 3 weeks.

I finally can hobble around a bit, my tennis fit, but I think it is because I had such swollen foot before surgery.

It has been just over 6 weeks.

The tennis shoes were a wide too.

I heard of others buying a larger size.

• Posted

My surgery was s December 5th and I had midfoot fusion with plate and 7 screws.   I’m having difficulty sleeping.   I’m just taking Teylonol as needed now.  Doctor told me to stay away from NSAIDS like Aleeve and Advil because it could delay bone healing but I’ve taken a few here and there anyways.   I really want to be normal again.  Sharing with others and hearing experiences helps to know I’m not alone.   I cannot un-elavate for more than 5 minutes without swelling and turning purple.  Lots of pressure.   I’m in walking boot but heel only until week 6.
    • Posted

Interesting how our doctors are all different!

Mine wants me to take nsaids for the swelling (nsaids- ibuprofen and naproxin)

Although tumeric works for inflammation, eating fresh pinapple has an enzyme for fighting inflammation(good for colds)

Limiting salts, sodas, and foods high in salt. I would lay on the couch and prop that foot all the way to the ceiling.

I am 7 weeks post op..in my own shoes..well athletic shoe. Still have a tinge of discomfort...some discoloration and I still like to elevate.

Up to walking for 15 to 20 minutes.

My toe is swollen and flexibility is better but not 100% so I feel I limp and walk more on outside of my foot...working on that...I been on diet too...because it is tough to workout.

But the pain is about the same as before my surgery...so I hope that we go away. My foot is definitely smaller then before surgery. No more bunion lump. Plate fusion of midfoot metatarsal and 5 screws. I have bone spurs too, but they don't hurt...so we left them...too bad we can't dissolve those stinkers in vinagar.

Happy new year!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.