Swelling after total knee replacement.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, in a couple of days it will be 13 weeks since my tkr surgery. So far I haven't had a single day when my knee hasn't been swollen despite my elevating, icing, resting continually. The swelling has contributed to my low ROM which is around 95 degrees. Is anyone else continually swollen after 12-13 weeks?

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 24 weeks out after tkr and  still swollen.  Have no idea what I should do about it.  If you hear of something, please let me know  Thanks.
    • Posted

I saw the Dr today. He just said all is ok, the swelling will eventually go down. I need to stretch, exercise but be careful not to do too much.
    • Posted

Ozzie, this is so good to hear!  Sensible advice!:-)))))  I've really rested through my TKR and wonder if this is partly why I had an easy time of it.  For weeks and weeks it was purely elevation, ice, and rest with a little bit of exercise here and there.  My husband was my slave for three or four weeks and I've only started doing more over the past few weeks.  Had the TKR 1st March.  I did start the bike at three weeks but built that up VERY gradually and started the treadmill at 5 weeks, but again built that up very gradually and still don't overdo them!

• Posted

Hey, mine will be 13 weeks on Friday now. Swelling daily. The more I do more swelling but sounds like thats normal. Icing is my best friend yet. My ROM at 8 weeks was 105, the last day of my therapy. I joined a gym now and feel like its helping with my bend and my straightening. I find myself walking with a limp, but they say its because my leg isn't straightened and I need to tighten up my muscles in my thigh. So have really been working on straightening and strength in my thigh. I go to the doctor on Wed now so am excited to see where im at with ROM. Will keep you updated. Good luck. Love reading all the great info on here.

• Posted

sounds like our situation, progress is pretty similar. My straightening is at zero but bend not so hot.
    • Posted

My straightening at 8 weeks was a 5. Hoping for better come Wed. Its a long process, and everyone is different but I just keep thinking it will be worth it in the end. Keep your head up. 😊😊

• Posted

It takes longer for some people, but anti-inflammatories and ice is what keeps the swelling down. J-13270
    • Posted

hasn't worked so well for me. Looks to me like it will take 6 months to a year to heal up. Now, if I can just keep myself sane during that time....

• Posted

That is a bit unusual considering all the posts on this forum, and yes, it can interfere with your ROM.  At this point, swelling usually occurs when you push the knee too much in a day...it shouldn't be swollen all the time.

Are you off your pain meds?  Your doc may want to start you on 800 mg Ibuprofen every 6-8 hours since this sounds like an inflammation issue (unless there's something else going on inside).  You should get some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US).  Second best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet.  Call your doc...

• Posted

Yes, I am at 11 weeks and I have gotten no relief from swelling, and I am still having pain; not like it was but there is still swelling.
  • Posted

Ozziegee - I had arthroscopic surgery in my left knee 4 years ago and my knee and leg got very swollen. The PT that I was seeing taped my knee and leg and the swelling started to go down. I don't know if they still use that technique, but it helped me. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.