swelling after varicose vein treatment

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I was wondering if anybody has had a similar experience as me. I had veins from one of my legs stripped and treated a few months back. The recovery itself was straight forward, however, the surgeon has admitted that he was disappointed with the results as I still have a number of large prominent veins - I did have a lot. I have also developed a bulging vein at the top of my thigh and what I thought was an enlarged lymph node in my groin, which is actually a vein. I get pain and and an ache in my hip and also my pubic area along with a strange vibrating sensation that lasts a few seconds. My surgeon was a bit vague about this but mentioned nerve damage and 'vein congestion'. He has booked me in for another scan to see what is going on. When I googled this (and I know that I shouldn't!) it talks about veins twisting around your bladder, ovaries and all sorts. I am now thinking that the treatment has actually made things worse. Please tell me someone else has experienced this and I am not going mad!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I'm surprised that your doctor chose stripping - I thought most vein clinics outdated that?

Also, perhaps you have PCS? (read on, below)

Like you, I too, recently developed a bulging vein at top of thigh, though i didn't yet have surgery. See, due to my FMS and CRPS, the doctor thinks I'd probably have more pain after surgery, than I have now. He prescribed custom hosiery, to see how that works out first. The problem is, most times that any part of my body is compressed prolongedly, swelling develops. It already happened with my finger and ankle. And post-biopsy my breast swelled enormously.

I don't know which country you're in, but especially if you're in the UK, the method with zero invasion - namely Sonovein is available at the Whiteley Clinic. I'm in the U.S. and predictably, the FDA has not yet approved it. I mean, why should they approve incision-free Sonovein, if, after all, catheters that are RF-heated, "torture you less" than older methods did?

At Whiteley they state that often the reason varicosities re-appear again even after surgery, is due to PCS (pelvic congestion syndrome). They say that's resolved via Sonovein. I suspect that in the long run, the hurdle for many of us will be the high cost of genuine anatomical repair (not just veins). Because as there becomes more of a demand for "real" care by "woke" people, costs of Real Care may skyrocket beyond the means of many of us. At least that would be the case with me!

• Posted

Hi Badveins. Sorry that you are suffering too. I am in the UK and, due to the amount of work needed on my leg, the surgeon decided to strip most of the saphenous vein and laser the rest. I have had my scan which showed an enlarged vein in both groin areas and which suggests PCS - I will need a different type of scan to confirm. No aneurism, which was good news. The bad news is that I will need further treatment, although I will look into the one you mention. I really hope that you are able to get the treatment you need. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.