swelling and liver enzymes elevated

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, my name is James and 250 lb, 30 yr old, 6'1" male. I had recently started a health kick and have lost about 15 lbs in a month. I work nights and usually go for a 2 mile run after work. One night last week, I started feeling not so good and thought I might have caught the flu. But by the time morning came, I felt okay, so I went for a run. As soon as I came back from the run, my head, face, neck, hands and legs started swelling. I thought I just overdid myself and laid down. When I woke up, it was a little better, so I went to work. But then my upper right belly started to hurt a little and, one time, my urine was brown and bubbly. So, I decided to leave early and go to the hospital. They said the blood test came back negative for hep a, b and c and a slieu of other things, but that my liver enzymes were slightly elevated. They said that it could be that I indeed did get the flu and it attacked my liver after the run, but I have very few, if any flu symptoms.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi James, Did the doctors say anything about raised bilirubin? If they did, you may have Gilbert's Syndrome. Losing weight, energetic activity and the after effects of 'flu can have the effect of causing mild jaundice if you do have this condition. I have it, but have never noticed these symptoms, although my GP has warned me that this may be the case. There is a separate forum on this site on Gilbert's Syndrome which you might find interesting. It might be worth asking your GP if this is what you have.

If you do have it, don't despair. I find it eminently manageable although I know others have more symptoms than me. Apologies if this is a wild goose chase!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.