Swelling and shoes

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all.

Well it is now over 4 months since my surgery. Screws and plates to repair my broken ankle. 7 weeks non weight bearing. Now trying to get back to normal life. Every day my foot and ankle get really swollen to a point where I can't get my shoes on. I have tried so many different styles of shoe or boot and none of them will fit over the swelling on the top of my foot. Even soft top socks really cut into my leg. Now the winter is here this is really limiting my ability to get outside. Sometimes the swelling will go down over night some times it doesn't. Can anyone offer any advice please. This is driving me crazy. I just want to get on with things and I can't. 😩😩

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My accident happened 6 years ago. I had plates screws etc. my swelling never went away. I have only been able to wear open back shoes. I know it was difficult during the winter. I had 4 other surgeries during those years finally Dec 6th I had a total ankle replacement so it's been about 3 weeks. I'm hopeful the swelling will go down and I can finally wear my boots again. And not have constant pain. I hope you have better luck mine was a very severe injurie head on collision ankle shattered leg broken it was horrible. Hope you will do better but if it continues to swell your not alone and it's a long recovery. I'm only touch toe bearing for now it is hard to go through. Good luck

• Posted

Welcome Broom 100...i understand where u r coming from. I so want my life back. This is my 7th week after surgery and I am wearing the boot with weight bearing. I am going too a neurologist tomorrow too find out about the shooting pain I getting Im my foot. With the swelling I need too wrapped feet with adhesive wrap and use ice. Are you wearing regular shoes now?
  • Posted

Don't know if you are male or female, but since I'm female, my shoe options may not work for you.  I'm 7+ months post surgery, doing great but there is still swelling sometimes.  Since I have an extremely high instep . . . add swelling to that and shoes are a big challenge.  No matter what shoe you can get into, my experience is that if I have good arch support, my foot feels better at the end of the day and the swelling is less.  Might be just me, but you might want to give it a try.  I have two pairs of "go to" shoes right now.  Uggs are pretty good.  They are sloppy enough that I can get in and out, soft and comfy and some arch support.  The second shoes are a pair of older clogs.  I know, seems strange but the lower part is all rubberish so there's some give, they have great arch support and they get my feet off the ground in the snow and rain . . . and with the rubber soles, they don't slip.  Had my physical therapist check both shoes and she gave them thumbs up.  Having heel support is important to me, I find if my heel isn't pounding the ground, the swelling is less.  If I have to go to a dressier function and wear ballet flats or something like that, I suffer for a day or two.  Another idea is take and afternoon and go somewhere like DSW and start trying on shoes until hopefully, you'll find a comfy pair.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, I am 5 months post ORIF surgery. Good supportive Tennis shoes have worked the best for me. I wear a brace on the ankle so for a while I barely laced my shoe. I also wear compression stockings (knee high) style. By the end of the work day my ankle looks a lot like a tootsie roll and I am ready for an ice pack.
  • Posted

Wide shoes. Bed socks- have wide top. See your private messages.
  • Posted

I am 11 week's post ORIF with plate and screw's and too have swelling with 0 pain. It seems like the last thing to subside. I am worried about edema. Did you go to physical Therepy? I should have but am walking just fine and am doing ROM at home tube exercises. .

• Posted

Sounds very similar to me broke my ankle fib and dislocated my foot 19/8/16 and still great deal of pain and swelling having large pin out in two weeks but don't know if this will be better or worse thought liife would be back to normal by know but been told it can still swell up for a year or more as I stand up at work all day been wearing the soft sketchers go walk shoes and always use a compression sock and ice and elevate when you can but just takes time 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.