Swelling causes worry

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all. I've been doing slightly better lately with anxiety. This week was my first full week back to lectures & work. If I get through today this week will be pretty much a success. I'm learning to celebrate small achievements.

But last night I took a long walk while I chatted on the phone with family. The phone call lasted nearly 3 and a half hours, and it got pretty cold. When I got back to my place I noticed my middle finger on my left hand was swollen. It doesn't hurt but it's definitely puffy, and uncomfortable to make a fist.

I went to bed and now, nearly 12 hours later, it's still swollen. I'm wondering if it's because of the cold? Or keeping my hand at my side while walking? I also carried a small bag in that hand, but only for maybe 30 minutes max during the walk.

It's making me very nervous thinking it could be frostbite, a blood clot, an allergic reaction, etc. Should I wait it out for today? Do I need to see a doctor? Ugh sad

Thanks for any help

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nick something tells me its not frostbite, and not a blood clot either, its probably where you were carrying a bag, in the cold, and messing about with the circulation.

Personnally I would watch and wait, but if you feel anxious go get it looked at.

• Posted

I would massage the hands and fingers vioriously and get some circulation in that hand. You likely pinched something when walking for hours holding that bag.  You could also soak it in ebsome salts. message it a lot.  
    • Posted

I think you're probably right. I actually have had nerve problems in that arm and hand before, just not like this. But I'm going to sit with it today and try to massage it. Hopefully it goes away ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.