Swelling/discomfort

Posted , 5 users are following.

After some advice opinions please.

I’m two weeks post op rectocele, cystocele and perineoplasty.

I was doing really well but the past couple of days feel “full” and uncomfortable. If yo for more than ten mi it’s it takes toll the next day to feel ‘normal’ again.

Today I had a peep and my perineal sutures are bulging tissue between looking very like haemorrhoids but it’s my perineum.

Has anyone else had this?

I r call reading after three weeks people felt like their surgery had failed.

I also am aware of an odour from vaginal discharge. It’s just watery stained old blood and not a lot but smells unpleasant - like I have t showered for a month!

Any comments would be valued thanks.

Feeling a bit defeated and I’m doing literally nothing being very careful.

Thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

My doctor says to walk. He says it’s the only way to get things stretching and moving back into their new “home.” 

At 2 weeks i was in lots and lots of pain and the walking helped (after I would take the pain meds.) I also had a yucky smell and when the doctor checked me he said it was normal due to old blood. But if you are concerned about infection go have them check you out!

• Posted

Hello Paddiwhack. I am into my sixth week for similar ops to you and have had so much discomfort right up until the last couple of days and it has become a bit easier.. I had a discharge until last week, a watery one, not bloody at all but it wasn't a smelly one. I haven't had a look at mine it was too uncomfortable. I also have a swollen tum and sometimes a really full feeling. I am goping all is normal and I see my surgeon next week. I still feel tired and have rested and done hardly anything except walk when I felt I could, just starting to feel I can do a bit more. Like I was advised here to just be patient. Good Luck

• Posted

Hi at only 2 weeks should not have been doing anything except maybe once an hour stretching your legs around the house, around 2 weeks should just be starting 2x5 min walks making light lunches.

So crucial to rest while wounds still healin, please don't cause unnecessary down pressure while still early in recovery.

It's so easy in early weeks to think you are better than you think, your body takes time to get over the anisthetic and if been taking painkillers it takes time you drain out system and you may not be aware you're overdoing things.

Please take care,

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi Phyllis thank you for your message

I am doing nothing except working from my bed when I have to and am taking very little walks like to the kitchen and other areas of the house or accross the courtyard to feel the sun (it’s only tiny).

I  have just progressed from nightwear into pyjamas by day - it feels a bit more acceptable day wear!

Apart from when I go to the looo it is tender I have no particular pain and have not needed analgesics. I have just started taking anti inflammatory tablets again to see if that helps the weelling. 

I will take heed to remember not to try and increase what I’m doing .

The only time a walked too far was when I saw my surgeon last week in the city and had to walk from the car park which as a ten minute walk each way. I slept for five hours on return ( it’s an hours drive from where I live). 

Thanks everyone for your sound advice and I trust you are all continuing to do well 😊

• Posted

That's good your being really carefu, it will be swollen for a good many weeks yet as the deeper tissues heal.

I thinks it's around 4-6 weeks when the wounds Start to pull together and stitches loosen and I think someone described it as the inner walls resettling.

Try not to worry just take progress slowly and see how things go listening to your body. Out bodies are really amazing as long as we give them time to heal.

Phyl x

• Posted

Great thank you so much Phil. I was feeling quite ok emotionally and brigh but today I feel thoroughly fed up and sorry for myself!

My surgeon said I could drive after three weeks - I don’t think so 🙄

Best wishes 

• Posted

This surgery is such a shock to the body, and being do restricted physically/socially for a time period is not only exhausting but emotionally draining.

We women are so busy in our life's as mum's, daughters and wife's it feels like we are trying to keep plates spinning most of the time then suddenly we are to take it easy and let everyone else do it all; it's such a dramatic change and really difficult to adjust and so very frustrating to learn to just leave things be for someone else.

I think we all go through some really emotional down time, at least at some point in recovery if not on a few occasions. In later weeks it's difficult and exhausting trying to build our strength back up and just as frustrating.

Eventually you will find that swelling will subside and you will start to feel like it's all coming back to some kind of normality and you will start to get some of your normal routine going but you will always have to be careful not to lift more than your body can cope with and avoid long periods on your feet if possible.

It's your health for the rest of your life that is important, not worth taking a chance.

Phyl x

• Posted

I soooo wish my doctor thought resting was a good way to recover. By half way through the day I’m exhausted. He said straight away after surgery to walk walk walk until you drop. Then rest for a while and go again. It’s completely the opposite of what I felt like doing, or even feel like doing still. But I’m trusting him and pushing myself and hopeful that it will all be worth it! He’s adamant about not lifting anything, and complete pelvic rest until 12wks post op. Hot epsom salt baths help too. And I take ibuprofen each day, sometimes a pain pill as well. This has been a very long 4 weeks, and I’m really hoping everyone on the forums is right about things starting to feel better between 8-9 weeks post op!
    • Posted

Please be careful not to over do it! 

Wishing you and all a perfect recovery 

• Posted

Hello again Phyl I really appreciate your time coming g back to me. You have certainly made me feel a bit better.

I don’t feel so on my own with this. 

I hope you have a good weekend and I will certainly take heed to your comments x

• Posted

Hi,

I'm sure your surgeon will know best.

But I fail to see how walking till you drop and complete pelvic rest is compatible.

I only know that when on your feet the pelvic floor supports all the pelvic organs and for that reason you would not want to put pressure on the pelvic floor while healing.

Anyway I agree that important to avoid lifting anything heavy and complete pelvic rest is important for first 12 weeks.

Take care,

Phyl x

• Posted

Girl, that’s exactly what makes sense to me. He told me if i didn’t want his advice to see another doctor. 😳

This recovery has been so hard. It is nice to hear about eveyone’s Experiences. Thanks for your thoughts & support.

• Posted

Oh dear. Not a very approachable consultant? I think the problem with some is that they don’t actually know how it feels and therefore don’t necessarily visit take all precautions on board! Take it easy and get well soon 
  • Posted

I am wanting to say I strongly suspect an infection. A discharge should definately not be offensive like you are describing. Plus you've got extra new swelling? I SO recommend going to get it all checked out by Dr. 

On the subject of walking. I agree walking is good for full bodily recovery & getting all functions more normalized. But short walks around house to begin. Then slowly over next few weeks building that up. Like 5mins extra per walk a day after first 10 days of walks around inside house. Walking bit by bit & slowly increasing this helps digestion, stomach swelling, muscles, mental stimulation, etc. etc. Lifting no more than enough water in kettle to make a cuppa and not bending to pick things up is important. But walks are not going to harm anything if done sensibly with very slow gradual build up. Insurance companies usually won't cover you until past 6wk mark. If you're going to drive under 6wks it pays to give your insurer a ring first. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.