Swelling expectations

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello.  I fractured my ankle on 9/9.  Had surgery on 9/17 (plate installed on fibula w/7 screws) with post-op appt on 9/29 where I was put into a walking boot.  I was, and continue to be NWB until my next ortho appt on 10/26 (considering x-rays look good).  Yesterday was my 2nd physical therapy appt, and I'm doing NWB exercises to increase my ankle's range of motion.  

So that's the background, and here are my concerns that I was wondering if others have experienced.  My range of motion exercises seem to be going well; I mean my ankle is tight, but I guess that is to be expected.  From a pain perspective, however, the pain is on the top of my foot, which I think is strange.  Also, I know swelling can last a while and come and go, but it seems like my foot has stayed swollen the whole time, and since the break, my foot has been red compared to my other foot.  I ice my foot/ankle 1-2 times per day.  When I'm home, I keep it elevated (even while sleeping); at work I try to keep it elevated, but it does stay down probably most of the time.  So I'm curious if others have experienced pain on top of their foot, and if the swelling seems normal based on how far I'm into this journey.  Thanks...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello . I had a dislocated my ankle and had 3 breaks. Operation the following day. Plates and screws . Surgeon told me I'm on the worse end of the spectrum regarding ankle breaks . I really made a mess of it. I was also worried about my foot which is swollen all over and kills me at times, even my toes. I could swear at times I'd also busted my foot . I'm 8 weeks post op and in a black air boot , part weight bearing on crutches. My ankle is still swollen too. Hope this helps As I worry at times too. Good luck with your recovery.
    • Posted

That does help.  Thanks for sharing.  Although the swelling is still there, it's reassuring to hear your doctor still has you putting some weight on your foot.  That's a huge concern for me.  I'm going into my appt on 10/26 with the intent of walking out (albeit with crutches).  Was it your left or right ankle?  If it was your right, are you driving yet, or do you still need time for that?
    • Posted

Hi Eric. It's my right ankle unfortunately . No I'm not driving at the moment . I'm in the UK at the moment where I originate but can't travel home yet to Australia where I do drive. I wouldn't be able to drive yet as I wouldn't be able to break hard. I still need more healing to be able to drive. I have been feeling down because I'm usually very fit and active. This inactive life is driving me mad. I try to stay positive and I think if we do that the problem is halved. I was comparing my ankles earlier and this right one looks as if it's going over a bit. It's depressing but like I say we must keep positive and not let negative thoughts invade our minds. I can feel fluid all over my foot, including the bottom , but been told that will get better as I start moving on it. I'm part weight bearing with crutches and allowing healing time. Everyone's different so compare notes but it doesn't mean you will end up like someone else.
    • Posted

Susan, I know exactly what you mean.  I am active as well, usually getting at least 4 runs in a week.  Plus I'm currently living in Germany and enjoying European beers, so I've had to put that hobby on hold since I can't run.  It does stink, but reading others stories on this forum, and talking to friends and coworkers who've had ankle injuries before helps me see the light at the end of the tunnel.  By the way, it's my right ankle also, and not being able to drive is making me crazy.  

Anyway, thanks again for sharing and stay strong Susan.  I'd be interested in hearing when you get back into running or whatever hobby you do to stay active.  Maybe we can push each other towards a half marathon in a year or two.

• Posted

Hi Eric ! I'm the fast paced walker and walking many kms. The English countryside draws me with its high hills and a descending valley. I'm also a gym goer but cancelled my membership recently. I am sure you will be back in the race, so to speak. Keep me posted as I'm interested how things turn out for you. Don't drink too many beers or you'll get heavy lol. Cheers to our ankles and their recovery!
  • Posted

I had ankle replacement with little warning that in nearly every case regarding the ankle the long term result is pain or server pain. I have not found anyone who is pain free. The pain can be at the top or the bottom or all over but the pain they talk about is always in evidence. . Pills massage or excercise can help but unfortunitly it never goes away. Sorry to have to give you the news that is nerver spoken of.

Good luck but grine and bear it is my answer to my problem.

Mr Ankle   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.