Swelling following Total Knee Replacement Surgery

Posted , 39 users are following.

I am three weeks out from TKR surgery on my left knee. My surgeon assures me that swelling is completely normal following all that takes place during knee replacement surgery. I am curious to discover what others have experienced with SWELLING following surgery.

3 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl I am in my 3 post week Im having the swelling the numbness which my Dr said it is the nerves and it will shrink..I am icing and elevating constantly
    • Posted

Hi Wanda!

Sounds pretty par for the course!🙄

Be sure that when you elevate, you put you leg or legs ABOVE YOUR HEART. A belt looped around your foot with the rest of the belt in your hand will allow you to move that leg easily. I attached my husband's belt to my walker at first. Then I hooked it on my cane. Later on I left a belt beside my chair and another one on the couch.

Skin on the outer part of each calf is STILL NUMB. I am VERY CAREFUL when I shave my legs!

It WILL get better! Try to remind yourself that the surgery is EXTREMELY INVASIVE! Healing requires a lot of time and PLENTY of patience.

You will get there!😊

• Posted

My experence is that it last a LONG time. . . and makes bending the knee difficult.  Swelling in the foot too, and that horrible pins and needles feeling every time it goes to the floor. . . All pretty normal, I think. 

• Posted

LONG Time is for SURE!😵

Early on my swelling made my leg feel like someone had come in and poured CEMENT in my leg when I wasn't looking!

How have you been?

• Posted

Hi Cheryl. I had my op 6 weeks ago today. I still have a lot of swelling though it's less than it was . I use ice and elevate my leg . I did it very frequently at first and still do it frequently. My bend is improving as the swelling lessens but is still just under 90. I believe the swelling can last a long time so don't be discouraged. I'm told it's all normal 😊

• Posted

Hi Meg!

Glad to hear that you are recovering well! It DOES take awhile! As you heal, the swelling WILL become less of an issue. It can be frustrating to try to bend a knee that is swelling. ( I liken it to trying to keep a PILLOW folded!!!😁wink

I'm doing good! My second knee provided a COMPLETELY different experience from my first! I had very little swelling, MUCH more mobility, and fast healing with my second knee. This really surprised me because my second knee, my RIGHT knee, was my worst knee.

Be patient.

Come here often.

Read and then help others by sharing YOUR experiences.

I have learned SO MUCH at this site, but, more importantly I have found SO MANY people who can identify with my experiences! That understanding and support has been PRICELESS!💗

Be well, and thank you for the kind words!😊💗🙋

• Posted

I am also 3 weeks out. I do have some occasional swelling but nothing like before. One thing I am concerned about is the stiffness that is almost constant.

PT works fine while I'm doing it but the next day everything seems to go back to stiff mode. Any suggestions?

• Posted

Hi I'm 7 wks out & have still got a lot of swelling & like you a lot of stiffness. I asked nurse practioner that I saw test for my follow up apt & she jus said keep doing exercises & lots of walking. That's all very well but seems to make it worse! As for swelling & when it'll go she said how longs a piece of string? Also she said i prob wouldn't start feeling much improvement till 3mnths!!! Thats still a long time to wait.

• Posted

Hi first of all my name is Ray 6 weeks out total knee replacement, right now about your swelling you are going to have swelling for a while it's perfectly normal I still have a lot of swelling on my knee, you really need to ice it continuously, it's going to be a while before the swelling goes down you're probably going to start physical therapy and the swelling is going to get a little worse try not to let the swelling discourage you you have to remember they opened your knee up pretty good during surgery every person is different so hopefully the swelling will go down soon good luck to you and hope everything works out for you

• Posted

You guys have been amazing thank you. X good luck as you have made my journey achievable. 3 weeks postoperative TKR and physio advised more to straighten my. Knee more. I have, 97% bend but 24 on straight in red to reach zero lol. It hurts. Good luck all xx
  • Posted

okay I'm calling on behalf of the patient her name is Wanda and she's been having problems with swelling pain and depression she said being in heaven to she's been having problems with swelling pain and depression she said being in heaven to be she's been having problems with swelling pain and depression she said having to be dependent on somebody to help her with everything she does as well go to the bathroom is she's not used to that she's really she really doesn't like that but I am trying to help her and this is my first time I don't know what to do other than I don't know I don't want to baby her I don't want to make it worse please try to give me some pointers on what I'm supposed to be doing as far as helping her get up and move her leg and exercise and get it working again so she can get out of that bed

• Posted

Cheryl, I am 65 years old and will be 90 days out of TKR left knee (August 23) and I continue to battle swelling. (non-smoker & non-drinker) However, I was aggressive through 10 weeks of grueling physical therapy and continue to be very active physically. What I didn't and haven't done continuously is REST, ICE & ELEVATE! With 7 grandchildren and the holiday season upon us, their will be very little time for the REST, ICE & ELEVATE. Following these 3 things religiously  should resolve your swelling. Btw, I'll be having TKR right knee February 26, 2018. Good luck and God bless!! 😊 

• Posted

Hi Rick!

Congratulations on those seven grandkids! We have a two-year-old granddaughter and another granddaughter on the way! Having had two SONS, it is VERY exciting to me to get to do some girl activities for a change! My husband is enjoying the change of pace, too!

Rest and elevation DOES help with the swelling! I also find compression stockings ( thigh-high) help, too. I used to ice routinely early on, but I got SO COLD even in the summer!

You will be very glad when you have your second knee replacement done! It is great having two strong knees!

Sending prayers for strength and calm and positive thinking as you head towards February!!!♥️

• Posted

Hi i had TKR in Feb this year. I've still got swelling & stiffness. Physio jus says keep exercising it & itll go down when it's ready. Dont no what my bend is, but can now get all the way round on a bike without much trouble & can get knee straight no problem. I still struggle on the stairs, putting weight on it, I'm told thats the swelling. It's really frustrating though. I thought swelling would have gone by now.

• Posted

Hi suziec3. I've not started physio yet till this Thursday. I've been so ill. Got compacted could not go to the toilet for 2 weeks when I did go I was so ill lost so much blood took me off pain pills only paracetamol pain so bad only sleep 3 hrs a day. Can walk upstairs ok little pain .It's at nite the pain is so bad. Just don't no what to do . Laying hear now it's like a deep pain had my TKR last myth 26 3 weeks tomorrow x

• Posted

Hi poor you, sounds like you're having an awful time. I resorted to sleeping tabs to get some sleep. Hope physio can offer some words of wisdom & it helps you. It's a very invasive op, not nice. Good luck, hope you feel better soon. X

• Posted

Hi Suzie!

Sounds like you have made good progress with the bike. 😄 That one took me awhile due to my swelling!

Stairs can be challenging. We have just six to get upstairs and just six to go downstairs to our family room. I am very careful even two years post-surgery especially while carrying laundry baskets and as I hold our granddaughter's left hand as she holds onto the railing with her right hand.

Do you have pain as you walk? If you do, try stretching often throughout the day and even in bed at night. I learned that I had very tight hamstrings, so stretching helps a lot and has removed the pain I had for years in the back of my knees.

Stiffness just seems to come with the territory! I keep moving and stretching while sitting. I get up often to move around, too, which helps.

Cold weather, wet weather, and storm systems on the way in really can cause a lot of stiffness.

Swelling is the body's way of immobilising the area of the body that has been injured. Our bodies take lots of time to heal with these knee replacement operations!

I'd say you are still healing.

Be patient!

Check with your doctor if you don't notice improvement after stretching, icing, elevating, and walking a bit. Be sure to rest when you need to. The body has been through a great deal!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.