swelling in fibreglass cast

Posted , 5 users are following.

so i had my stitches out today & my cast put on. the lady that did it pushed my foot towards me whilst she was putting the cast on so my foot was “in place” and it hurt my ankle a bit. now that i’ve been home for a couple of hrs my toes have swollen & my toes have gone a little red. i have my foot facing straight up in the air while i’m laying down to try and get the swelling to go down. is it normal for it to swell the day you get the cast?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to tell you it is. Use ice, but don't let it get wet. You are in for the long Hall. Keep it elevated!

• Posted

so i shouldn’t be worrying myself crazy and thinking about a hospital trip that’ll waste my time? it’s normal to swell a little when the cast is put on? it’s like my second toe is big & my big toe is a little swollen, i have it elevated on pillows. should i just go to sleep? 

• Posted

Yes Tahlia it's does swell. I'm a little concerned that your toes are red. I would like to caution you about putting your cast near heat. I found this out there hard way. At night while I was asleep I had the space heater near my bed and around two in the morning the cast would start to swell. Took me awhile to figure it out. If the swelling continues I would definitely contact the doctor. Be blessed. 😇

• Posted

My swelling continued for weeks, and didn’t start to go down until I was walking in the boot. Don’t worry!
  • Posted

Well count I'm the complete opposite of you. My foot didn't start swelling until I took the boot off. My feet were elevated for at least 60 days. Once I took the boot off, my foot ballooned up. During the day I elevate it, but now that I'm FWB it stays swollen.

• Posted

I have had the same experience and eight months later I still have to elevate several times a day and each evening when I arrive from work.  If I don’t wear a compression sock, it swells so much I can barely walk.  

I’m getting one of my plates removed in two weeks so I hope this procedure will help return more movement and alleviate this stubborn swelling. 

Does your ankle become discolored when you walk a lot? 

• Posted

luckily i don’t have to get any of my metal removed. and yes, my toes swell right up and my toes start to go pink. and that’s just me getting up and going to the toilet. then i gotta hurry and sit back down and put my foot up again 😩

• Posted

Hi, I had ligament repairs (both sides of ankle, how i managed to tear three ligaments is beyond me) and joint clean up surgery a little over three weeks ago. I was put in the cast for two weeks, I went home from surgery with it. My ankle really swelled up after about three or four days while I was still in the cast, my incisions were pressing against the sides and it was very uncomfortable. My toes would turn pink/red as well when I wasn't elevating it. The swelling has gone down a lot since then but that ankle is still noticeably larger than the other. I'm in an aircast and I constantly have to adjust it because I can feel the swelling make my toes start to tingle. What surgery did you have done and how long ago? Best of luck to you, hope you're healing well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.