Swelling in jaw not disappearing

Posted , 3 users are following.

A few days ago, my tooth ached and my lower jaw started swelling; I was put on Clindamycin for antibiotics. It's been three days and although the swelling has been arrested, it won't disappear. My right lower jaw feels tender and the lump below is hard.

Dentist says to give the antibiotics another couple of days to work and in the meantime I should put warm compress on the lump to soften it. I've been trying to get more info after I got home but most of what I've come across say that warm compress is a big NO.

Should I follow what the dentist said about the warm compress? (All the internet reading has me scared of the infection spreading, but I'm already on antibiotics?) I just want the pus drained so we can get on with the treatment.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Clindamycin was the third round of antibiotics I was put in due to a bad tooth infection. My lymph nodes in my neck were also swollen from the infection right under my jaw. After about the third day the pain in my tooth/face went away but the swelling in my neck got worse. I thought it was my lymph nodes. Turns out (after taking pretty much the whole bottle) I’m allergic to clindamycin. I now have a rash on my entire face body. That they said could last 14 days. So I would stop the clindamycin if I were u and get something else. 
    • Posted

Oh my, that's awful. Have the rashes resolved now?

I'm happy to report that it wasn't an allergic reaction to clinda, or its adverse effects. The hot compress helped with getting the swelling down, which was fortunate.

• Posted

The Clindamycin didn't really help me any. It won't necessarily take the swelling away as it's made to fight infections. If the swelling is still persistent, you may have an irritated tooth. In my situation, I had 2 teeth (wisdom and moler) that were broken off pretty bad and it caused unbearable pain nonstop for a couple weeks. The Clindamycin helped keep the infection away but didn't help the swelling. My swelling was due to the broken pieces of teeth pushing on the nerve real bad. You may need a root canal done on that tooth or have it pulled. As for the Hot compress... I've heard a lot of different people's opinions about this. Personally, I'd say listen to your dentist. On another note, I think a Cold compress is the better way to go. Get some ice or take a wet towel and put in the freezer until it freezes. That should help with the swelling.

• Posted

The hot compress did help, with the pain and the swelling, which was a relief. Although I wouldn't recommend it without any antibiotic, just to be on the safe side (blame the internet lol). As soon as the swelling went down, my dentist pulled the tooth out. Unfortunately, it cannot be saved. sad

• Posted

Glad to hear. From what I have heard was that the hot compress can spread the infection, which is what I assume you're talking about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.