Swelling in left leg on and off for 20 years

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a 41 year old female with two teenage (11 & 15) children. I'm a non smoker who, 22 years ago beagan to experience swelling in my left leg from top to bottom; it feels warm and hard and is without pitting. I was referred to a specialist who advised that he needed to see it "in action" so to speak however this was impossible as it never occurred when I wanted it to (usually atcollege/ work). I have had long periods where it hasn't occurred and think it has resolved itself however it has returned intermittently.I am 5ft tall and weigh 7st 10 and eat a decent diet. I drink alcohol socially/occasionallly. My dad has had a heart attack last year and has been diagnosed with heart failure which is why I'm posting this now. I am a mental haelth nurse so have some knowledge of physical ailments but would really apprecaite some advice on whether I should see my GP (who isn't particularly nice)

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

  • Posted

    Yes, of course you should see your GP (or a different doctor if you'd prefer). It's strange that it's been coming and going for such a long time. Perhaps a trip to A & E when it's active would be an idea. Good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Yes get it examined when it is showing symptoms and don't hesitate to change your GP. There are many good and understanding ones out there.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Zoe

    Seems like you should know more than most people, you should see the doctor.

    If there is not another doctor at the surgery you are with that you are comfitable with, I suggest you register with another sugery, if that is possible.

    Let us know how you get on.

    All the best


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Sounds like venous insufficiency. Wearing ted hoses should help. I would recommend massage but there is a risk of dislodging blood clots. Your doctor should do an angiogram and consider placing a venous graft if the problem interferes with your daily activities. Find a good doctor preferably one specializing in circulatory issues. Good luck dear.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted


    Thank you all for your advice regarding my intermittent leg swelling, I really appreciate all your comments.

    I do not work within the NHS therefore don't have access to general medical doctors (I work in a psychiatric hospital).

    I hope to get to either my GP or A&E next time it swells, or take a photograph; however it appears to have stopped again this past couple of weeks.

    Will keep you posted x

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up