Swelling in lower leg after having a broken fibula 10 weeks ago

Posted , 5 users are following.

Broke my right fibula on 23rd July 2015. Just by walikng. Then rolled ankle and it broke. My question is is it normal that after being in a fiberglass

cast for 6 weeks, moonboot for 4 weeks my lower leg swells up after an

hour of walking.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

My fx was July 28. I was 8 weeks cast now PT - no boot. I was told swelling can occur up to a year.

are you in pt? Do you use a crutch or walker ?

• Posted

No pt, no walking aids. Just weaing hospital compression

socks to relieve the swelling. Which is working great.

• Posted

Hi

No fx but mid foot fusion. I'm thirteen weeks post op, ten in cast and three in boot. I'm still having to elevate my foot when sitting as it really swells if I just have it down. I'm not at the walking unaided stage yet but I think it may well swell even more then. Like other reply I've been told to expect swelling for

up to a year.

Would just love to get back to normal but that seems a long way off yet!

Helps a lot to realise you're not the only one going through this.

Good luck to everyone with their recovery!

• Posted

Same here just want to be able to do the things i use to do with ease. Good luck to you with your recovery. Hospital

compression socks works well for the swelling

• Posted

Hi,

I broke my left fibula 11th July, had surgery 28th July. I did exactly the same as you rolled my ankle and fell, whilst walking. Unbelievable really how easy it is to do. The thought of it now makes me nauseous!

I would say that swelling is absolutely normal after walking an hour, these are muscles that haven't been used for along time and will take some time to build up.You should be able to get some physio sessions through the hospital and they will help you with this. Absolutely brilliant you are on your feet though. Best of luck!

• Posted

Yes getting physio at hospital. They said nothing abou the swelling. Just wish they had mentionec that it might happen and its slow and steady to get back to close as normal takes time. Pre warned is pre armed. But atleast i can walk now unaided.
    • Posted

Yeah I see what you mean. Your not told about any of the side effects or other pain you may have. I certainly found and still find this with the hospital. In fact the lack of information provided on what is a long and lengthy recovery process I find astounding. Its the other people going through the same thing on here that have been a lot more helpful. Every pain, ache and swelling I've had during my recovery process have had me a nervous wreck where I'm convinced something is seriously wrong. This is where it can affect you mentally as well as physically.

Great you are walking unaided and your recovery time has been very good. I cant answer for sure as I'm not at the same stage and haven't started walking yet, but I would guess that this will take time due to the muscle wastage all that time while your non weight bearing. But stick in there and the very best of luck!

• Posted

Hi,

I am now 1 year post surgery. I broke my fibia, a bone at the abck of the heel and snapped ligaments on the other side of my ankle.

I have a band of swelling at the bottom of my ankle, it goes all around. It looks like there is a build up of fluid. I still to this day can not wear closed shoes. Have been wearing my burkinstock sandals since I was able to walk again.

Religiously do exercises every day so mobility is great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.