Swelling lower abdo feeling

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi fellow sufferers,

I am in my early 40's and had a years worth of prostate problems 15 years ago which resolved themselves. Sadly a month or so ago symptoms returned.

The urine stream is not to bad but am going a lot more and urgency seems constant.One thing though which i havent seen many mention which i wished to ask is a certain symptom. I do i can feel the area is swollen just around and above the pubic area,not pain just a very uncomfortable swollen feeling.

Seen plenty of posts regarding urinary info and have just been prescribed Flomax but just wanted to ask fellow sufferers if they had the same feeling.

Many thanks and hope everyones feeling better very soon.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello  John

the prostate seems to give many pains ( they seem to differ day to day )

The pain you mention seems to be in the bladder area, I can't say that I've had a swelling in that area but I have had/do have tenderness in that area.

no 2 days seem to be the same with the prostate and not many good day with me at the moment.

kind regards

Howard.

PS. I hope things inprove with you.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply Howard,really appreciate it.Wishing you a speedy return to health too :-)
  • Posted

Hi John,

That's enough symptoms to warrant a check by at least your GP. You don't mention weither you've any blood in your urine, so I suspect there's no observable blood (called frank haematuria). But there may be unseen blood (called micro haematuria); this latter can indicate things like infections. 

You can buy test strips to check this out yourself (on eBay, for instance), but it would be easier to just get your GP to test for this. The GP will also send a speciman away to check for infections. This would seem to me to be the best initial course.

This may be followed up, if the GP thinks it useful/necessary, with a urology consultation - perhaps with ultrasound and/or cystoscopy.

Best wishes, Ian

• Posted

Hi there Ian,

Thanks so much for your reply.I saw Urologist a year back as i was a bit silly as i took some testosterone pills i got via a supplement company to try.Reason i did it was because i have had CFS/ME 18 years and wondered if it may help boost energy etc but sadly all that happened was i ended up urinating blood for 48 hours which was very nasty indeed.Had cystoscopy and all clear apart from what they believed an overactive bladder (Which i disagree with as i have only had the occasional day here and there or burning urine feeling otherwise normal).All findings normal apart from them being shocked at the amount of "Debris" in bladder which they just sucked out . Dont think it is connected with this though.

Have had it 7 weeks now,went to doc who did urine strip and all normal but gave me week of anti biotics in case it was the start of an infection.Two weeks later no improvement so went back and sent for bloods , only thing they found was high cholestrol but PSA levels normal. Waited for another appt but swelling feeling was so bad kept me awake 3 nights with desperation to constantly urinate so went to A&E where they did a digital rectal exam and found the prostate enlarged but said go to see GP so went and put on Flomax but Doc said it will shrink the prostate which doesnt seem to be the case from reading up on it.So been an eventful few weeks!

Many thanks Ian

• Posted

Hi Derek,

Sadly i didnt ask.All she said was about 2 seconds after finger went in "Oh dear,yes that is enlarged" so im guessing it was fairly well on for that reaction but its not to the point where the stream is hugely affected,thats the strange thing (Although maybe it is as i am going to the loo alot and im just not realising how much the streams affected).

Many thanks Derek.

• Posted

Hi Derek,

Sadly i didnt ask.All she said was about 2 seconds after finger went in "Oh dear,yes that is enlarged" so im guessing it was fairly well on for that reaction but its not to the point where the stream is hugely affected,thats the strange thing (Although maybe it is as i am going to the loo alot and im just not realising how much the streams affected).

Many thanks Derek.

• Posted

It can be enlarged without affecting the stream. It depends on which lobe is growing and where it it is pressing. A friend had quite a small prostate but it caused him to have urgency and retention.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.