Swelling moved up to leg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi sorry to make yet another post, but am 7 weeks post op now, and my swelling is getting worse not better, and it's even moved into my legs... I am laying on the sofa with leg in the air, and will stick an Ice pack on it but I just wondered if anyone else has had their swelling move up into their leg ? 

this is something I was not expecting, especially this late.. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Is it painful? Only because of what happened to me, I would get it checked out. Are you mobile? X
    • Posted

I would say it was painful just my foot is really swollen and feels really tight.. My ankle is quite wide, I would not have noticed my leg was swollen had I not wonderd what the dent was in my leg was, where I had been leaning on it... I guess my foot throbs a bit, and is clearly swollen a fat. How did you know yours was a thrombosis Beth, how did it feel? 
    • Posted

Well I only knew when I was rushed to hospital with the worst pain in my chest and couldn't breathe. I had a PE so blood clots in my lung but I did have a DVT as well! I had pain in my calf and a bit of swelling but I ignored IT thought it was due to my foot! Just better to be safe because maybe if I had mine checked straight away may not have gone to my lungs. Take care and get it checked!! X
    • Posted

Definitely agree with Beth. Pain and swelling in lower leg could be a sign of a thrombosis. I had a dull pain in one calf. Almost didn't mention it but very pleased that I did. Had scan which showed up DVT. Best to get checked out. May be nothing but best to be safe
  • Posted

That doesn't sound great at 7 weeks, I think Beth is right and you should get that checked out ASAP. Helen x
  • Posted

Hi Sue. I agree that it doesn't sound right. My foot is swollen every day and I notice that my ankle is too but keg seems ok. Am on holiday on Portugal and the extra heat and more walking is taking its toll on my stiff foot. 

I would get get it checked out. Are you doing hot and cold treatment too? That seems to help mine in the evening. I put ice cubes in the cold and try and get hot as can cope with for contrast. 

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sue, Poor you, that doesn't sounds quite right, really do go and get checked sap, better to be safe. I had a PE in the past (after long flight),you really dont want that. Take care. 
  • Posted

I will make an appointment in the scorning if the swelling is still in my leg, I ungerstad swelling in foot can last a year on and off. 😟
  • Posted

Hi .

I have just typed out my reply to you and  it seems to have gone astray,

I would urge you to seek medical attention for this new swelling asap pref tonight.

It is quite possible that you have a DVT.

The swelling is usually in the calf,  red and hot to touch. and stiff and painful, i have not had one but i am a HCA  and have seen this often with post op pts.

I dont want to scaremonger you but really do think you should  at least ring your local out of hours treatment centre or ring NHS direct. wher do you live?

I would urge you not to wait until tom as this could be a medical emergency if you end up with a PE  as poor Beth will tell you it is a very dangerous thing to have.

Please keep me posted   and Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi hormones56, its not in my calf, it's the whole leg, not hot in any way. It's  not that swollen, only the foot, but there is fluid in the rest of my leg, not a lot as such, it's just that it stays in when I press it. My foot and and ankle are quite noticeably swollen an puffy though... 
  • Posted

Good your leg's not swollen and it was nothing sinister Sue. Take care, keep elevating !! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.