Swelling on one tonsil, antibiotics haven’t worked. What is this?

Posted , 7 users are following.

i've had a swollen tonsil for nearly 4 weeks now and its just not getting better.

i've had no viral symptoms or fever at all. It doesn't hurt to swallow or talk. The only thing i've noticed is that the one side of my throat often feels really dry when i breathe in.

I was given a 10 day course of antibiotics after a telephone appointment and they haven't made any difference. I've also been gargling with salt water.

The doctor still won't see me to have a look at it and i'm at a loose end. What could this be and what should i do? image

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

mine has been the same for 3 weeks now ive tried all sorts sprays lozengers paracetomol doesnt feel sore just like a bubble when i swallow and sometimes dry doctor put me on antibiotics for tonsilitis as only one side had a white spot on which isnt going but ive finished the 7 day course and still no better throat is slighty red theyve swabbed me now to see if anything on it so just waiting for results

• Posted

No real change here.

same tonsil still looks exactly the same except now im also getting the dry/itchy sensation the other side of my throat too.

Some days arent as bad as others but its certainly not gone away.

I often get itchy inner ears too now which surely must be linked.

I still cant get to physically see a doctor due to the on going pandemic.

Any suggestions on how to sooth further or help get rid of the issue would be great.

• Posted

hi i still have mine over 4 weeks now and one tonsil still has a weird yellowish spot on ive tried everything i had a phone consultation again last week with my doctor i was able to send her a picture of my throat and all she said was looks like a tonsil cyst and my throat doesnt look anything that shes worried about so just leave it for now and if its still worrying me she will send me to ent clinic when all thos is over like you some days mine is not too bad but its not completely gone its scratchy

what have u tried? i get some ear pain on one side not often but i do feel it now and again p

• Edited

im facing the same problem here ..please update me incase you went for further treatment .. I'm afraid its not some kinda cancerous thing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.