Swelling over incision after cyst removal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I have a large complex ovarian cyst removed two weeks ago and I'm recovering well but I have some swelling above the incision and I can't find anywhere online if it's normal or not so I was wondering if anybody here would know. I have a horizontal incision (about 9cm) below bikini line and immediately over where the incision is I have the swelling. The swelling is worse when I stand up and very noticeable to me. There's no really bad pain so I'm wondering if this is a normal thing that happens from inflammation? Any thoughts are very welcome.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I believe it is just inflammation.  I had a key-hole done about 3 weeks ago and I could tell you the incision site was swelling like I was 5 months pregnant.  It was bigger before I did the surgery.  It got me worried, too.  Well, it went away in a week's time.  So, if you did an open surgery, I believe it just takes longer to heal.

I don't know if you also feel the same, but whenever I sit up or lie down, I felt all my internal organs (the ovaries, the tubes, intestines, whatsoever in that region) were like rolling up and down like a bunch of balls inside a container.  I felt like they were cut loose and the doctor did not tell me.  LOL! 

• Posted

Hi Vickii, hope you are feeling better was wondering if you are still having the nurse dressing your wound or have you finished that now, as you could ask her. When I had my cyst removed I remember it being quite swollen and sore for ages after, but to be on the safe side see if you can get it looked at to put your mind at rest but I'm sure it will be fine x
  • Posted

Hi vickii

I had the same, 12cm cyst removed via mini laparotomy just over 4 weeks ago, I too still have swelling across the width of the incision just above as you describe, I had it checked at the doctors yesterday and they told me it is perfectly normal and will reduce over time, can take months apparently? However we are all different, so if you get any pain or you are still worried, always best to get it checked, good luck with your recovery 😀

Hazel x

• Posted

Hi Vickii

I would ask your GP to have a look. I have a similar thing, had a laparoscopy with 3 incisions and have this type of swelling over just one of the incision sites, the rest are fine. It's also the only one that is still tender and caused discomfort when I move, stand or walk. My GP has referred me for an ultra sound as she thinks it may be an incision hernia but it could also be swelling so she wants to rule it out. Also been given antibiotics 'just in case'.

We are all different but it is better to just have it checked out in my view.

Hope the recovery conitines to go well. x

• Posted

Thanks very much for all of these replies. I'm hoping it's just inflammation/ swelling as some have mentioned but even the chance of it being a hernia is making me think I should go to see my GP just for peace of mind as follow up appointment isn't until May 20th! I notice that the swelling isn't as bad when I lie down, it gets a lot worse when I stand up so am worried that this might be a sign of a hernia? Anyway, I'll make sure to get it checked and thanks again! Xx
  • Posted

I was told after my surgery to call my doctor immediately if there became swelling or discharge at my incision areas.

Hope you got it taken care of.

Tracy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.